Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Renault scenic 1.9 diesel 2001 has started to cause me concerns about my clutch and wonder if anyone can give me some advice about the possibility’s on what it could be.
The clutch pedal vibrates when l put my foot on the pedal to change gears and grabs the bit of the clutch when releasing the pedal.
The clutch doesn’t slip and drives fine when in gears and doesn’t slip out of any gears .
The vibration is there all the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it sounds like the release bearing is failing and chewing through the clutch. The only answer is change the clutch. Don't keep driving like this it needs to be done asap
Ok thanks for that advice
Can l ask a couple of questions , firstly can l just change the release bearing.
Secondly is it difficult to change the clutch on these Renault scenic , is there any videos and information on step by step changing the clutch ,

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
No you really have to change the whole kit, the difference in cost isn't great anyway. It's not an easy job, no idea if there's a video on youtube or the like. Don't get confused by watching a video for the mk 2 version it's totally different. It's a long while since I've done one of these so can't be much help with guide. It's a bit like doing a mk1/2 clio but much more awkward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just been out to try the clutch and it make a right noise as soon as l put my foot on the pedal all the way to the floor.
Cannot even get in the gears with the engine on now ?.
It is a clutch cable to the gearbox and l don’t know if it’s adjustable or not or if this would make any difference.
The thing is it’s a y reg with 150,000 on the clock and l don’t want to pay more than the cars worth to get repaired.
Anyone know what kind of price this would cost me .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phone around today and got quotes of £700 to £800 which l thought was way to high .
Best quote l got was £360 , so cannot understand how garages quote can be twice as much as the lowest quotes ..
Can someone tell me if the scenic 1.9dci 2001 l have is a solid flywheel and not a duel mass flywheel.
Also another problem l have is getting the car to the garage as l cannot get into the gears with the engine running , is it possible to drive without the the clutch pedal to select the gears ,as l heard years ago there is a way of doing this ..

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I'm 99% sure your vehicle has a solid flywheel. Your model is pretty much obselete these days and some garages may be quoting you for the series2 model. It's possible to start in gear and get the car going in a dire emergency. This is not a feasible method a driving a car other than extreme situation. I've done it to get a customer's car out of a car park but it's not a safe or sensible way to use a car

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,459 Posts
LOL, had to do this 4 weeks ago to get a Fiat Panda down to the garage to fit a clutch

Its only 4 miles away, bit hair raising at times,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The clutch pedal has a lot of play and won’t get the gears is there anyway l could put something on the cable end where the lever is for the release bearing to make the release bearing press further onto the clutch .

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
hi

sound like you need either the garage to come and collect the car or if you have appropriate breakdown cover have the take it to the garage.

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts