Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Despite several posts on here stating only renault clip will read the fault codes etc i've spent a small fortune on other so called code readers over the last couple of years.
I've got a draw full of fancy gadgets with flashing lights, discs and leads.
All of them read ''no faults''
I've also been repacing parts at random trying to cure a lumpy tickover.
This week i purchased a renault clip, as soon as it was connected to the vehicle ten faults were listed!
These were mainly throttle position, manifold pressure etc.
I'll be doing more research before i progress any further with it by reprogaming etc.
So don't waste your money on so called bargain, cure everything code readers!

:)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
not as bad as you but i bought a code reader last year ok on some makes of cars but renault not a chance can clip will be on order from H/Kong this w/end i am not going to pay silly ebay prices :d
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My local independant has a Bosch diagnostic machine.
Even hooked up on that it showed no faults.
The nearest Renault dealer involves a 80 mile round trip, hence trying to diagnose the problem myself.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Hi bugsb,
"can clip will be on order from H/Kong this w/end i am not going to pay silly ebay prices"
Been checking can clip auction actual selling prices, lowest was £112 and various up to £160. There are variations on software edition and delivery cost. None seem compatible with my 64 bit Windows 7. What are you expecting to pay and is the edition important?

G

·
I have a cheap code reader bought several years ago for my Vauxhall for less than £20 and I spent a lot of money buying different code readers for that! :mad:

Though this one has been very useful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a677ad7f4

I used it yesterday on a 2001 2.0 Scenic and came back with a throttle postion sensor error code. Though I conced that sooner or later I will have a problem It wont be able to deal with as apparently it wont be any good for pre 2001 petrol models and pre 2004 diesels

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far i've got two fault codes;

DF045 which i presume is a map sensor problem or a leaking inlet manifold.

DF002 maybe a throttle butterfly malfunction?

Can anyone confirm this please?

·
4,268 Posts
Hi bugsb,
"can clip will be on order from H/Kong this w/end i am not going to pay silly ebay prices"
Been checking can clip auction actual selling prices, lowest was £112 and various up to £160. There are variations on software edition and delivery cost. None seem compatible with my 64 bit Windows 7. What are you expecting to pay and is the edition important?
if you have an older laptop then run win xp untill they have an update for win 7
most updates are for newer cars i think not 100% sure
if you want 50+ they are $35 each plus post single £112 inc dhl post witch takes about 5 days
Ron

G

·
So far i've got two fault codes;

DF045 which i presume is a map sensor problem or a leaking inlet manifold.

DF002 maybe a throttle butterfly malfunction?

Can anyone confirm this please?

Those look like Renault specific codes . Sorry I only have the generic P codes with my code reader manual.

I've just seen this on another forum

DF002 Water temperature sensor; short circuit to ground Permanent, just got this from a renault site if its any help. ?

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks RS,

I've been looking for these codes everywhere and i keep on getting re-directed here!

Along with the codes are ten faults all looking like they are linked to the induction system.

The water temperature and air inlet sensors have already been replaced.

Interesting enough there's no ignition problems detected, eg; misfire.

Above tickover it runs perfectly.

EDIT;
The information i gained in my previous post was off here.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The code can mean different things on different models or engines.:)
Thanks Noel.

Before you start diagnostics you have to enter the vehicle VIN number and confirm the result, which was right anyway.
I'm still learning how it works, perhaps more practice will give more detailed info'.
One major problem is the clip draws its power from the laptop and not from the car so it only lasts a few minutes.
A 12v lead from the aux' socket to the laptop is essential, i'm looking for one!

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
A stand alone battery or mains supply would probably be the best option. Drawing a voltage via the cars electrical system may in itself throw up some onerous fault codes.

Whilst the Can Clip seems to about the best code reader suited for Renaults without the relevat pdf files tracing some faults can be difficult.
For example in the true Renault system when a fault code comes up not only does it tell you what it is related to but also what other checks are needed to confirm which circuit or component should be checked out and/or replaced.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you get on.:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I own a heavy duty power pack i'll power it from that when i purchase a 12v lead.

A kind member on here is sending me a replacement map sensor.

I'll purchase a set of inlet manifold gaskets, plus check the manifold for hairline cracks.

I also have a spare throttle body which i'll throw on.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Hi bugsb,
there will never be a clone 1 that runs on 64 bit win 7 as far as im told you can run it under virtual pc on win 7 pro or win 7 basic but not win 7 home also if you look to the left and see the car icon click that and is should find the car without entering the vin:d

·
4,268 Posts
you could as i have done with Ubuntu run a dual boot system on startup i can run win xp or Ubuntu
as i use Ubuntu all the time xp is for can clip and my chip programmer
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also if you look to the left and see the car icon click that and is should find the car without entering the vin:d

Are you refering to my comments? :d

I only installed the software this morning.

Around ten minutes use and charge the laptop for two hours! :crazy:

G

·
Around ten minutes use and charge the laptop for two hours! :crazy:
Sounds like the laptop batteries are getting to the end of their days ?

Why don't you run the laptop charger of a long extension lead? Or I being thick and missing something? As that is what I do when using my old laptop to use my LPG software.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Laptop only twelve months old but i did until today have battery management software which keeps the battery @ 80% charge and switches between charge and discharge even when its permanently connected to the mains, came ready installed with this samsung laptop.
I've now disabled this, perhaps my sessions with the clip will now increase to 15 minutes!
The laptop is working hard when its connected though, the fan is on full speed nearly all the time as the software is constantly switching modes.
Normally in the garden the battery lasts at least two hours.

G

·
That seems a bit strange?

I have DDT2000 Renault diagnostic software (don't know how to use it properly :eek:) on my laptop and get a good 20 minutes on the battery which is well past it's best

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That seems a bit strange?

I have DDT2000 Renault diagnostic software (don't know how to use it properly :eek:) on my laptop and get a good 20 minutes on the battery which is well past it's best
By nature i'm slightly impatient :eek:

This software takes some learning.

On ebay there's even tuitorials on how to use it, i'm not that thick!

I'm probably executing several commands @ once, it seems like nothings happening but apparently it is.

Once the lumpy tickover is sorted i'll probably never use it again.

As my late father in law kept saying, a old school mechanic, if its running properly leave well alone, it fell on deaf ears when i was younger :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.