Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Megane 1 is approaching 360 000km and some of the electrical connectors are starting to fall apart.

I refer here specifically to the plasitc surrounds on the male ends that plugs onto the coils.

I went this evening to investigate a misfire and noticed that the two wires to the coil on plug at no 1 piston (or is it no 4 -- it's the furtherest from the gearbox?) are loose.

I managed to push them back on but am not happy with the way they are secured. The plastic clip is broken so there is noting holding the male and female together except a little friction.

I would like to replace all four connectors -- as they are all in a poor state -- before I investigate the misfire further. (Suggestions on this score would be appreciated. I was going to pull out the plugs and look at them and was wondering how to test the coils -- the misfire seems to be under load.)

Is this a generic part and if so what is the correct description of it so I can try to source it online. (These kind of things tend to be expensive when ordering from the agents here in South Africa.)

Also does it require a special tool to fit these connectors?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
you can buy new single coil connectors on ebay for £14.99 or s/h looms as well - both will reqire soldering into your loom unless you can find the excact one and unclip it all the way - some may not be detachable and mk.1 are rarer now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-RENAULT-IGNITION-COIL-WIRING-CONNECTOR-HARNESS-LOOM-7700107177/362606180793?epid=4031253784&hash=item546d0339b9:g:zz4AAOSwh8dcoznx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-FOR-RENAULT-MEGANE-CLIO-TRAFIC-LAGUNA-SCENIC-COIL-PACK-Loom/123737619881?hash=item1ccf563da9:g:9I4AAOSwGdtcthbB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nexxusone,
The Vauxhall item you found on eBay looks like the right item but is a bit on the dear side. I will post something when I finally get this thing licked.
Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
its actually Renault as Vauxhall vivaro's are just a renault trafic....in disguise lol

as for expensive, well.... if you've ever broken down or had to pay for a tow.... its £15 and 20 mins to put on and solder in, for peace of mind - unless you are selling car where a blob of hot gun glue would work as well.

you can use the part number and / or see what other cars it fits and hence source a cheaper s/h unit local to you.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
its actually Renault as Vauxhall vivaro's are just a renault trafic....in disguise lol

as for expensive, well.... if you've ever broken down or had to pay for a tow.... its £15 and 20 mins to put on and solder in, for peace of mind - unless you are selling car where a blob of hot gun glue would work as well.

you can use the part number and / or see what other cars it fits and hence source a cheaper s/h unit local to you.
Glue gun yes ............. I prefer silicon between plug changes - push plug in - both plug and socket clean - silicon blobs on 2 sides of the socket/plug joint - leave overnight - not affected by heat. Peels of easy enough:nerd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts