Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a broken (potholed grrrr) rear coil spring on 2012 Clio 3 1.2 Tce. I looked on partsouq with VIN for the part number but they appear to list a number of different springs with different colours.
The problem is the list doesn't appear to include the colours on mine which as far as I can tell is red white
Can I just fit from ECP or local parts shop if I give the registration. A quick trawl online appears to give the most common equivalent of 8200341248, or do I need to pay Renault prices?
It's a minefield!
fyi partsouq lists all below:- as follows
8200620457 SPRING-REAR SUSPEN 7 Special feature?;Colour = mid-red,Pink
8200843948 COIL SPRING 7 8200483761 RESSORT DE SUSPEN Special feature?;Colour = White,Yellow
550207735R SPRING-REAR SUSPEN 7 Special feature?;Colour = mid-red,mid-green
550204217R SPRING-REAR SUSPEN 7 Special feature?;Colour = mid-red,Yellow

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bounce - (sorry) do I need to get Renault springs because there seem to be a lot of sellers offering aftermarket springs which they say are compatible?
Is there a make (or more than one) which I should avoid?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
Has it got paint marks on it, does the other side have paint marks
If no they have already been fitted with aftermarket springs
If still colour coded ( Paint marks )
Then would suggest genuine.
If not, you will struggle to get genuine,
So it will be aftermarket
German springs are the best

A prostitute picks up a German tourist in London, and as they walk back to the cheap hotel they discuss terms (and conditions). He wants it kinky, she agree for an extra £50. As agreed, he ties her arms and ankles and then fits old bed springs to her knees and elbows. Finally he inserts a duck caller in her mouth and insists she blows it repeatedly. Do you know where this joke is going yet ? No, okay I'll continue. Off they go, he hammers her from behind and they bounce wildly around the room to the sound of a breathless goose. She realises the sex is absolutely fantastic and, when she has recovered, asks him what the technique is called. "It's an old German love-making practice"he replies, it's called the four sprung duck technique"

OK, I'm not even stopping for my coat.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@ours2012 and @ClioAutomatic thanks for the replies.
...just attempting recovery from the joke...ouch
There are colours but not paint - it looks like tape, given that its a 2012 vehicle does it matter if I don't get the springs from Renault, presumably the length is specified or does that vary too?
(The partsouq site doesn't show red/white but I suppose the white could be faded yellow-late edit just looked at photo on other post it can't be yellow)
Tire Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
37,575 Posts
You are lucky, those are Genuine Springs so you could match them with the main agents if you want to keep same ride characteristics
After market will never give the same ride,

Lesjofors are supplied around here for us also.. We have sh1te roads, Not to expensive

Would say most after market rear coils springs for Clio 3 are around £50 a pair ..

Think main agents are around £80 EACH, but work out how old your car is, and how long they have been on.
Then work out after market springs, that if you are lucky will last 15 months

Reactions: wozz

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
The issue with springs is not length or differing size, it is differing results after they have been formed and heat treated.
Technology is not good enough to guarantee same spring rate even for a load of springs in one batch.
So they are tested and graded...hence the colour codes.
In theory, if you go to Renault and tell them Red/White they should be able to find one spring of that grade and when you fit it, ride is the same and car doesn't lean.
OR you can forget the original colour codes and simply fit a matching pair...at the risk that the ride height may be different as may the ride and worst case, the pair are mismatched.
A decent aftermarket pair from a decent supplier should do the trick, just cannot guarantee.
Good news is that rears are simple to fit.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plot thickens..the white might not be white...your guess is as good as mine, could be blue, violet..no wonder people buy aftermarket.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ordered springs from Renault, should be interesting to see what arrives...

Warning: Stupid question coming up...
In the video at 02:19 it shows the axle beam disconnected from the shocks on both sides, as I only have a single trolley and a couple of axle stands (and some wood) and I'll need the trolley to raise the axle beam, and as safety is a priority it's going to be much easier to support just one side at sufficient height at a time. Will I be able to do that and change one spring, replace the shocker bolt then do the other or will the axle beam prevent me lowering the spring cup if both sides aren't undone?
I told you it was a stupid question...
(there's a long and boring pre-story here, to explain (but not excuse) my stupidity. Due to recent building work following a roofing problem all of my car stuff apart from spanners and sockets has been dumped by a "builder" into black plastic bags now in a big box in the garden, it'll take me a day to find anything, (like wire brushes and wd40!) so starting this on a neighbours path! is a big deal even though it is classed as not too difficult.

·
23,233 Posts
You're not going to like me but jacking the axle beam in the centre is a good way to bend it.

I would jack up one side and support body with axle stand, then repeat with the other, car now in air with wheels off ground. Take a couple of bites at it either side if you are not comfortable with the tilt.
Now find a decent length of 2x4, on trolley, trolley centre on beam, wood is spreading load, jack up enough to take the load off the shock bolts, ie take the weight.
Now undo both sides shocks and anything else (cables etc, not sure if anything but have a look)
Lower away, springs out, new ones in, rotating/locating them in cups properly, jack back up and bolts back in.
Then just jack and lower in reverse of getting the stands in.
Probably could get away without the 2x4 as load is only weight of axle but better safe then sorry.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Dancingdad
Thanks, I hadn't thought of doing that - not sure If have a suitable 2x4 but I know a man who might...
On the other hand I do have a scaffolding pole....pity it isn't a square cross section.
Just to clarify, I wasn't ever going to raise it in the centre of the beam, I meant raising one side at a time, supporting that side only, replacing the spring on that side, lowering and repeating, but re- looking at the axle beam it looks like there is way too much torsional strength to allow it to drop on one side only.
As you say, safety first...

·
37,575 Posts
That sounds like hard work
Jack up under the coil spring area
Slide axle stand in that side
Undo the lower shocker bolt, lower jack,
Go to the other side,
Jack up under the coil spring area
Slide axle stand in that side
Undo the lower shocker bolt, lower jack,
Now fit the coil springs.
Jack back up under coil spring area.
Refit bolt, just get it in
Dont tighten
Do the same the other side.
Lower car, drive car forward, or bounce up and down on the rear end.
Now tighten both bolts

DONT REMOVE the wheels
Dont raise the back end each side more than 4 inches .
If you are a fat barsteward, you are going to have to go on DD,s method of a plank
You wont get under

Reactions: wozz

·
23,233 Posts
If you are a fat barsteward, you are going to have to go on DD,s method of a plank
You wont get under
Who you calling fat...or a plank?
Font Circle Symmetry Event Facade

There is always more then one way of skinning a cat.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL thanks, fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm a both a plank and a very thin barsteward and the cat passed not long ago :cry: so at least she's safe now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts