Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday the keycard i have used since i have had the car stopped working when trying to lock the doors,so I got the new looking spare and used that ,it locks the car but not thedrivers door.I have been locking it manually with my front door key in the slot in the side of the door.
I cut the broken keycard in half,micro switch had came off so i soldered it back in place,it now works,but neither keycard will lock the drivers door still.
Is it just a coincidence that the keycard breaking at the same time as the front door not locking?
Are both key cards EXACTLY the same ?
When it first happened i did disconnect the battery for 5mins without the keycard being in the reader

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I think the keycards are the same (they may have a personalisation facility - on my car I can have different seating/mirrors position and ventilation settings compared with my other half).

I think your driver's door has developed a fault with the central locking mechanism (that is the only constant factor - in all this).

Therefore, to answer your original question - I think its been an unlucky coincidence.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that

Does prolonged use of locking the door manually in this manner cause any further problems?

Coincidently or otherwise?:p

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I can't see why it would - you are just bypassing the electrics, and doing manually what switches and solenoids would otherwise be doing.

It could be something really simple like a loose/frayed wire - an auto electrician would probably be a lot cheaper than the dealer.

Yep, you've got to love coincidences!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice:)
Now wheres that yellow pages ,then close my eyes and stick a pin in the auto electrician page :rolleyes:
wish me luck

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Best of luck - its probably something simple like that.

If you think about it, its the Driver's door which gets all the use.

All the best.

P.S. I would ask family/friends/work colleagues to recommend someone - that way you can learn from others' experiences.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Ginger - each keycard is unique and the car is programmed to suit each card - as far as I know the car can be programmed to take up to four different cards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts