Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so recently i’ve been getting a noise when the cars cold and then started up. It’s a clicking/tapping as well as a metal scratching sound. It’s gradually got worse.

It’s been taken to a mechanic and also recently has a service so full oil change has been done. Nothing come back with an issue.

Problem is once driven the noise seems to go (once engines warm) so then when someone comes to look at it they can’t hear it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, so recently i’ve been getting a noise when the cars cold and then started up. It’s a clicking/tapping as well as a metal scratching sound. It’s gradually got worse.

It’s been taken to a mechanic and also recently has a service so full oil change has been done. Nothing come back with an issue.

Problem is once driven the noise seems to go (once engines warm) so then when someone comes to look at it they can’t hear it

I’ve attached 3 videos of the noise below -

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,078 Posts
From the vids its a clio 4 1.2 16v..

General clatter from tappets and auxiliary belt pulleys..how much mileage is on the engine..they are not the quietest of engines in the first place but when the mileage piles on they do get tappy..it gets quieter when warm my reply pretty much answers your question..

Thread moved to engines..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,741 Posts
What grade oil is in the beasty and is it the right stuff.
Tappety when cold suggests oil is not getting to where it should when cold.
Which may mean wrong oil.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
While I hear belts and squeaks I cannot hear the cyclic nature of tappets or something mechanical inside the engine ................. I want to say I hear a loose sparkplug though? :unsure: :eek:

Especially video #2

·
23,078 Posts
While I hear belts and squeaks I cannot hear the cyclic nature of tappets or something mechanical inside the engine ................. I want to say I hear a loose sparkplug though? :unsure: :eek:

Especially video #2
Can't hear the tapping on the tappets !!!..try my hearing aid see if that helps..some ticking might also be fuel injectors..

Tappet regapping is one of the least done on these engines because there is quite a bit to remove before you even get to the cam cover..out of sight out of mind rules here..

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Lets see! :eek: :p

............ in fact Il put a virtual beer on it - either loose plug or leaking manifold/exhaust/turbo gasket :geek:

·
23,078 Posts
lmao..well that will only be proven if he is prepared to get out there and roll his sleeves up..lol..I wonder if he knows how to remove the air box 😉 check engines section if he doesnt..its a sticky..lol

·
23,078 Posts

............ in fact Il put a virtual beer on it - either loose plug or leaking manifold/exhaust/turbo gasket :geek:
I want 500 rand on the table or get ya ass on a plane and buy the forum a round..no turbo.. exhaust mani bolts will be fun if he wants to try and connection from Cat pipe to mani is a b1tch as well..just need to encourage him a little now to check.. 😉 😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the vids its a clio 4 1.2 16v..

General clatter from tappets and auxiliary belt pulleys..how much mileage is on the engine..they are not the quietest of engines in the first place but when the mileage piles on they do get tappy..it gets quieter when warm my reply pretty much answers your question..

Thread moved to engines..
it’s only on 49k

·
23,078 Posts
it’s only on 49k
Not a lot I know but these engines can sludge and the filth will accelerate wear of the cam gear..on one service its part of the schedule but I bet they dont do it ..did you have it from new and had all its services..quite involved to get to the cam gear and even the inlet manifold/auxiliary belt and aircon genny has to come off..adjusting the tappets is old school spanner and screwdriver jobby if they need adjusting..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a lot I know but these engines can sludge and the filth will accelerate wear of the cam gear..on one service its part of the schedule but I bet they dont do it ..did you have it from new and had all its services..quite involved to get to the cam gear and even the inlet manifold/auxiliary belt and aircon genny has to come off..adjusting the tappets is old school spanner and screwdriver jobby if they need adjusting..

View attachment 180518
i’ve only had the car 5 months or so? it’s got full service history though

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,741 Posts
Listening again with a bit of peace around here, there is deffo a chuff chuff component to it.
And if volume and position is any clue from vid 2, cylinder by belt end.
It's worth pulling the air filter and leads to give the plugs a nip.... don't try to force them, can strip the threads but sticking a socket on and a nip may well be the answer.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Listening again with a bit of peace around here, there is deffo a chuff chuff component to it.
And if volume and position is any clue from vid 2, cylinder by belt end.
This .............. I just dont get the "clakity" component of a typical cam/rocker gap issue

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Agreed I hear the expected CYCLIC clacking/ticking in THIS video, but to me its totally different from the other example of the OP

·
Registered
12 Posts

Sounds a bit like a de-laminating belt to me, flapping every revolution. The timing seems to match the auxiliary belt marks. Cam belt? Just a thought.
The old screwdriver-in-the-ear trick might help to locate the noise (Mind your fingers and the rotating bits)..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts