Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds a bit like a de-laminating belt to me, flapping every revolution. The timing seems to match the auxiliary belt marks. Cam belt? Just a thought.
The old screwdriver-in-the-ear trick might help to locate the noise (Mind your fingers and the rotating bits)..
what does that mean? simple fix? bad or good?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes sorry, failing drive-belts can have a loose flap or strip of material on the outside which flicks around, making regular noises like yours. Just a guess though, and as Dad says, the noise wouldn't go away just because the engine is warm. Or would it? If it is the cam belt failing, usually big problems if it breaks. A short length of garden hose or similar, one end on the black plastic cam-belt cover and the other end to your ear might give a clue (don't stick a screwdriver in your ear, not the sharp end anyway). Better safe than sorry with cam belts. Your auxiliary belt looks ok in the vids.
Harping on about belts a bit, but the timing and sound of that noise ........
(The cam-belt idler pulley on my old Lag started to seize up and the belt howled like a banshee at idle, and went quiet when the engine warmed up! But that's a different story altogether).

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
what does that mean? simple fix? bad or good?
New belts, that is, cam belt plus auxilary, never have just one done, plus another couple of bits like the water pump often, which is not designed to last longer than the belt! For me cost was about £400 by dealer a year or two ago, but if a belt breaks you're maybe looking at changing the engine because the valves and pistons will be stuffed.

How many miles it done? From memory, 72k or six years, or something like that, then new belts. Altho a good mechanic / dealer may not let it go that long, to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
New belts, that is, cam belt plus auxilary, never have just one done, plus another couple of bits like the water pump often, which is not designed to last longer than the belt! For me cost was about £400 by dealer a year or two ago, but if a belt breaks you're maybe looking at changing the engine because the valves and pistons will be stuffed.

How many miles it done? From memory, 72k or six years, or something like that, then new belts. Altho a good mechanic / dealer may not let it go that long, to be on the safe side.
I’m on 49k and it’s a 15 plate!

New development, when sitting on idle and window down the the noise was going, if I put my foot on the accelerator a take to increase revs, the noise started to go faster - so i can only think it must be to do with belts or something along those lines

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Well there ya go. (y)

Once I had a brief squeak / squeal from the Clio straight after a cold start, and I was blaming belt / pulley. Turned out to be the starter motor. No I don't get how either, but one recon starter later, fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I never agreed to wasting money like that .............. you better be at Heathrow with bells on so we can have the beer I owe you when I land the morning. 🍻

It was the AC Compressor pulleys
So what exactly was happening with the "pulleys"? ............. how was the problem solved? ............ AC compressor replacement?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts