Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small 25 litre compressor bought from aldi's just over 3 years ago, the motor has now given up (burnt out)
It was ok for for use with a nail gun blowing up car tyre's and the kids inflatable toy's, but with some of the air tools it ran out of puff, air saw, ratchet,& zippy gun, the compressor was rated at 4.5 cfm with 1.5 hp motor, the zippy gun & the ratchet are rated about 4 cfm but they wouldn't have enough power to do the job.

So I am now looking for a new one, been looking on the machine mart web site & compressors above about 9cfm start to get expensive about £400 plus for a 14 to 16cfm
there is one for about £200 2.5 to 3 hp motor, 9cfm displacement with about 7cfm fad, would the extra £200 be worth paying for the bigger tank and a higher cfm? would the 9cfm one run most air tools?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If your going to be using it continuosly for any length of time,then I'd go for the bigger ones,but for occasional use the smaller ones are perfectly adequate.:)

If your going to using a spray gun or orbital sander (DA) then the bigger tank will be neccessary,but for running air guns or ratchets etc,a smaller one would be fine.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Have to agree with Lag, plus the bigger tank means that the motor isn't in constant use topping up the pressure. I know that COSTCO have a range of compressors in stock - pretty good prices too (I can't remember specifics, just made a mental note at the time, in case I needed to replace mine).

If you or someone you know is a member, then its well worth a visit, before making a purchase.

Also, if you register with Machine Mart - and get their brochure sent out, they occasionally have VAT Free or 10% discount events - another saving worth having.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts