Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Yes I know should have checked and all that but here goes, Bought a Registered 02 1998 scinic for her in doors with suspect head gasket problem, more like a defo total fu***d engine, picked up the car 5 miles down the road hot or what, smoke, water, oil the whole lot dumped on the M25 as I said proper cooked, however now looking for new engine as she loves the car and wants it fixed, my question is 8 or 16 valve what is it, you see I havent got the log book and all the yards keep asking, as you can tell dont know much about cars other than how to bust em.
Regards Russtafa

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Russtafa - if you posted up the engine type - is it petrol or diesel and also the first 8 digits of the VIN number (some members on here have acces to databases which may be able to asist) which is on the lower windscreen. Whilst there are 8 and 16 valves engines there are also variations within those types. Remember to that apart from fitting a replacement engine you may have to get the cars ECU changed or re-programmed to suit the replacement engine. Just to clarify matters exactly when was it registered when new.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was quick !

Registered 02 1998, Petrol 1.6E, Plate reads VF1JAOF0517265089, Thanks for your comments. I have now found an engine out of a Laguna the man assures me it will fit and if I use all my electrics and only use his short engine it will be ok, re the ECU thingy.
Regards Russtafa

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Rasstafa sounds OK then if he is going to supply and fit - but remember a short motor generally does not include the cylinder head which will probably be damaged on your currrent engine - especiall yafter all that cooking, baking, frying etc.,:d

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
You have a 1.6 8valve engine.. The engine code is K7M 702

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the very helpfull info WEBCODE clearly no monkey as monkeys only get paid peanuts, You do know your Renault stuff. Can you confirm that the 8 valve Renault Laguna engine is a safe bet as a swap, and will I encounter any problems with the ECU as mentioned in a previous post, in the meantime enjoy your life in spain if only more of us had the balls to move out of this so called Great Britain. So I say fair play to you.
Kind Regards Russtafa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts