Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Renault fans I have a Renault trafic1.9 dci 2004 I have noticed after changing coolant that one of the coolant glow plugs sparked and caught fire. My question is I want to replace all 4 as one is cracked are these the same as normal glow plugs or are they different as I am struggling to find some to buy. Many thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
Renault refer to them as thermoplunger 's and by all accounts they can be a real pain to remove,
the housing often having to be replaced, they activate once the engine is running if the temp is below
about 3c to assist in warm up of the heating system, unfortunately that is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Renault refer to them as thermoplunger 's and by all accounts they can be a real pain to remove,
the housing often having to be replaced, they activate once the engine is running if the temp is below
about 3c to assist in warm up of the heating system, unfortunately that is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject.
Thank you I have removed them and would like to replace them do you know if I can use normal glow plugs or specific thermoplunger glow plugs. Many thanks 😊

·
7,927 Posts
It looks like Renault expect you to buy the complete unit prices seen to vary so you would have to check
for which would fit your vehicle, are there no markings on the removed plugs you may be able to cross
reference them, on Bosh or NGK sights, it is possible that they are the same as glow plugs used in some
Ford engines but I don't know which.

·
7,927 Posts
Have a look at this listing,
This I think is the one used on the Clio DCi but it may be worth asking the seller
about yours, if the unit comes complete from Renault or other sellers it may be
cheaper to go that route, the plugs look like glow plugs but are 14 amp so a good
bit more powerful than most.

·
5,093 Posts
Have you removed each individual plug or simply the whole unit? My experience would say it’s better to buy a guaranteed used part from a reputable salvage company. Mine were so badly seized into the block on a 2011 grand scenic that soaking in plus gas for days still wouldn’t shift them. Even heat didn’t help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts