Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps,

I have been trying to remove the two locking sleeves that secure the hoses that enter/leave the heater matrix. The car is a 1999 1.4 8v clio.

See here -

I have been pressing in the buttons on either side and they're not moving. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well today I showed the locking sleeves who was boss, but it wasn't bloody easy. Even with a pair of molegrips clamped on pressing the release tabs in they wouldn't move. So I had to painstakingly remove them with tin snips, a hacksaw, pliers and a huge amount of patience. The new heater hoses are of a much better design, made from plastic and easy to release. However after flushing and refilling the coolant system the heaters are only blowing warm, the engine gets nice and hot and registers the correct engine temperature on the dial. So I can only assume that there is an air lock in the heater matrix somewhere, I think tomorrow I'll jack the front of the car up and rebleed it.

Does this sound like a logical assumption?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, encountered some more problems today, there seems to be a slow leak from the o/s of the engine, around the cambelt area is all i can describe, the coolant drips off the sump and subframe. I did jack it up and have a good look to see if i could pinpoint it but couldnt see anything really. I had the car running for a good while to see if it would leak any more yet it didn't, it only seems to do so when it is left standing, or is perhaps so slow that it's just hard to notice.

Also, i gave the car a quick run to see if that would make it leak any more and the only result was that it seems a load of coolant sprayed out of the expansion cap, so will be picking up a new one tomorrow if i can.

In reference to the first problem, does that sound like it's the water pump leaking? It was the only thing i could think of in that area, and i'm not sure that it's ever been changed.

Some replies to this topic would be appreciated please, i'm very much a novice when it comes to spannering and any advice is welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Leak near cam belt does sound very much like the water pump. Don't be tempted to use one of these "stop leaks" additives, they are more trouble than they are worth. New pumps can be sourced pretty cheaply and can be fitted in a couple of hours so long as you have the right tools.
Luke warm air does sound like an air lock, once the pump is sorted leave the expansion cap off to allow the air to get around the system. Squeeze the radiator pipes with a rag (beware they will be hot) to try and push the air around the system. Some cars have a venting screw in the pipes to allow air to escape, (Fiat Punto springs to mind), check your pipes they may have a vent or occasionally there's a screw on the top of the radiator to release air.

Hope that helps,

Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leak near cam belt does sound very much like the water pump. Don't be tempted to use one of these "stop leaks" additives, they are more trouble than they are worth. New pumps can be sourced pretty cheaply and can be fitted in a couple of hours so long as you have the right tools.
Luke warm air does sound like an air lock, once the pump is sorted leave the expansion cap off to allow the air to get around the system. Squeeze the radiator pipes with a rag (beware they will be hot) to try and push the air around the system. Some cars have a venting screw in the pipes to allow air to escape, (Fiat Punto springs to mind), check your pipes they may have a vent or occasionally there's a screw on the top of the radiator to release air.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Thanks very much for your advice, I'm going to investigate the area further and see if I can have a proper look at the water pump. If it is the pump leaking then all the belts might as well be changed at the same time, how easy is this going to be for a novice? I have a Haynes guide and a pretty good tool selection, but I don't want to start it and then realise it's going to be a nightmare. Or even worse mess up the timing and destroy the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Don't even attempt to do the timing belt unless you have the Renault locking tool for the cams. Its not a job i'd recommend for the first timer without having somebody experienced to hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As my engine is the 1.4 8v sohc, then I wouldn't need the locking tool would I? The Haynes manual only mentions it in relation to the dohc 16v engine. I'm going to have a look this Saturday and confirm whether it's the water pump or not, if so I'm tempted to have a go myself. I quite enjoy the spannering, and would definitely take it slow and easy. If I really did get stuck or wasn't sure if I had set it up correctly I could pay a mechanic £20 to come and check it over for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts