Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there is a cooling-off period for someone who contracts to buy a vehicle but changes his mind because he thinks he has made the wrong choice?

The scenario is that a part-exchange was agreed upon today and a deposit of £500 paid by credit card to the dealership in anticipation of delivery of the newly-purchased used vehicle in a couple of days' time. The only exchange (apart from signature) was the deposit and the agreement to pay a further amount on delivery; this was a face-to-face sale not a distance sale BTW.

Vass20.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The way I see it, you have a couple of days, but the dealer has the right to withold what expenses he has incurred in making and then cancelling the sale. So you may not get the full amount back.

Naturally, this cost will increase over time as he will have to invest time in the registration process as well as preparing the car for sale.

Are you having second thoughts - or just curious?

Paul:)

O

·
0 Posts
As I understand it you can get out of buying the car but you are breaching the contract you entered into and they are not obliged to return your deposit.

In fact, here's a link for an article on the Hants Council Website
Regulatory Services - Frequently Asked Questions - Cars and Motor Vehicles

As a matter of interest, I paid a depoist of £2000 over the phone to hold a car pending it being inspected. I decided not to go ahead following a poor inspection report. I wanted all the cash back because but ended up having to issue a County Court summons against the dealer - I ended up with a big chunk of it back but not all of it!

Hope you sort it out to your satisfaction Vass.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Velsatis: Are you having second thoughts - or just curious?

Bit of both really. As mentioned some time back, I have an imminent 'relocation of domesticities' due and this Friday was to see the completion of the sale of our house. So I urgently needed a van to carry my remaining worldly goods away to hotter climes which involves driving to Southern Europe and the Mediterranean. I actually walked away from this van but then walked back because I decided I didn't have time to look at others. In truth, I had gone to look at another van but they said it hadn't arrived yet (it sounded like a spoof to get the punters through the door, but of course that's just me being cynical, as usual). Anyway I paid the man and they have to charge/change the battery and clean it up because it is a mess in the cabin (home to a litter of pigs might be a good description so you can guess why my doubts about making the wrong decision).

My erstwhile SWMBO is buying another property but as I drove back from Surrey, she phoned me to say there was a problem at the top of the chain so the completion cannot take place on Friday. If she had phoned me half-an-hour before, I wouldn't have signed or paid and opted to look for a better van instead.

@ OG:I looked at the hants.gov site and followed through to some other faqs and it seems there are a variety of pretexts that a buyer can use to exit a sale of this fashion, such as if there are latent faults in it that cannot be identified by just looking at a vehicle. Also, if they don't do what they agree to do.

I am actually concerned about the mileage which is just-under 42k; The driver's heel has worn right through the rubber carpet so does it seem unreasonable. I haven't checked the mileage and I don't think the dealers themselves would clock it, so it would be useless asking the previous owner, because he is the one more likely to have clocked it if this has actually been done. I must make some enquiries about that and I raised the matter with the salesman and he said he is selling the van to me with warranted mileage so if anything untoward is discovered, they will have to make amends.

Being on a 52 plate, and with only 42k, is it reasonable that they should have had to replace two of the injectors, (it is a 2.2 HDi engine)? The engine sounds good and doesn't smoke at all so ithas had a good service by the look of it and he said it was thoroughly checked. I haven't driven it because I thought it wiser to rely on what he tells me in case I find anything wrong; he can't then say to me, "You tested/drove it and was satisfied".

Mostly, it was curiosity that made me put this question to the forum for dissertation. I think, with some proper grammatical analysis, you can turn a 'maybe' into either a 'yes' or a 'no', depending on which way you want it to lean, I suppose. But it is so much nicer to hear others' opinions, so thank you both and others who may come on board with an experience or whatever.

I am now shattered and must go and get something to eat before I pass out through self-neglect and malnutrition:yawn:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Vass, from what I've read - I'd be inclined not to go through with the purchase. Vans are designed to withstand a lot of use (and abuse), and any signs of wear must be regarded with suspicion. It would tend to imply that either the mileage is higher than claimed, or the van has been driven by an oaf - neither of which bodes well for future longevity...:rolleyes:

Its never a good idea to buy a vehicle when there's a deadline - you are usually left wondering if you bought a 'pig in a poke', and if (with more time and possibly a clearer head), you could've done better.

At the end of the day, its your choice - you've seen the van, after all.

Sleep on it, and by the morning, you will know the right choice you have to make.

Best of luck,

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, that's good advice.... I'm glad I thought of it:d .

It is now 8.30am and I have slept on it. The one question that came prominently to mind was, "At what mileage is it normal for an HDi engine to need the replacement of two injectors at £250 each?" If anybody (Lag for instance) can give us a clue it might be a big help, I think. And will the other two injectors follow suit? After all they have pumped the same volume of diesel through them.

C U L8R

P.S. Just spoke to my regular Mech and he says injectors can go anytime and even be mechanically damaged. He doesn't think it means the other two will necessarily go as well. I told him about the hole in the carpet made by the driver's foot and he said he has seen that happen even at lower mileage than 40k. I have to say the engine sounded quite solid when we jump-started it and there was no smoke at all. It also fired the first time round on a totally dead battery (plus the power pack of course).

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
will the other two injectors follow suit? After all they have pumped the same volume of diesel through them.
Very true - were the injectors replaced under warranty? If so, then they may just have failed due to poor manufacture. If not, then it could've been due to fuel contamination (in which case, all 4 would've been affected, but possibly only the ones worst affected were replaced).

I know a service history might be a bit of a 'wish list' on a van, but does it come with a wad of receipts which show that money has been spent on maintenance? Mean people are often penny wise and pound stupid when it comes to running their vehicles.

Hopefully someone can answer the injector question for you.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
vass i don't know if the van has a new MOT if it has,then put it through again,if the van was to fail on something major you can then go back to the dealer and argue that he has sold you a vehicle of road unworthyness,you can threaten all sorts, the chances are he will offer you a refund,if the van passes the mot you will have peice of mind.for the price of 44quid.i think the distance you will be travelling in the van it will be worth it,best wishes to yourself and family in your new home,

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Let's now give Vass a bit of space to think.

That's fair enough (and I agree to a point), but 2 factors spring to mind;
  1. the mot is only an assessment on the vehicle's conformity to safety & emission standards (not reliability).
  2. the dealer may (if he's as unscrupulous as we are getting the impression of) may carry out the mot himself (or have a mate which passes cars for a bung).
Independent inspection (RAC/AA/etc) would be the most objective way to proceed along this course of action.

I think Vass should be left to make up his own mind now (he has his doubts) and I don't believe its right for us to influence/confuse him further - he may end up buying a heap of trouble or miss out on the bargain of the century (neither is good for him, if you see what I mean - no offence intended).

But I share your sentiments regarding wishing him all the best for the future.:d

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK guys. You have given excellent advice, all of you. The dealer is not himself suspect and I hope I have not given the impression that he is.

As a matter of fact, I have been there again and cancelled the agreement. I should also get a refund today. I suppose that as the agreement was struck less than 24 hours ago, it should be expected. I did get a pretty bad impression of the previous owner/driver but I don't suspect anything untoward from the dealer who is a long established dealership. Unfortunately, having slept on it, I felt I wasn't going to be confident with the appearance of higher-than-stated mileage.

I hope this thread will prove useful to other members who may have reason to regret spontaneous decisions made under pressure.

Regards all,
Vass20

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
vass, let us know if you get the money back.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts