Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I don't know if it's of any use to you, but in days gone by a brought a brake pipe flaring tool & made my own.

I'm afraid I don't if they are still available now though.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
It's been a very long time back but I'll be almost will to bet I bent them by hand.

Computers let alone Youtube hadn't even been invented then. :d

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,393 Posts
If you're bending your own pipes bend them round a former, knee is traditional. It's easy to kink them and if you do them bu55erred
You can get small bore pipe bending tools quite cheaply. Ratchet type that look like a catapult are easiest to use, swing arm types more flexible for complex shapes
Many motor factors offer a pipe service. If you take old pipe along they'll cut one to length and flare ends with new fittings.
You'll still have to bend it.
Last couple I had to do, back axle on a Sedona, it wasn't much more expensive for one of the drive in brake centres to do them. Formula one I think. So I saved myself the problems of rolling round underneath car, bleeding the system etc.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,635 Posts
i have had to do many pipes over the years
you can buy the tool and a roll of pipe enough for a whole car pipe is around £12 and you will need the connectors
but as said if you remove the old pipe some spares shop will make yu a new one
if you want to do it your self lot of videos on youtube as for the bending the pipe is so soft it will dend around anything
but caution if you have no idea what you are doing dont do it at the end of the day you do not want your brakes to fail x-days-mths on
Ron

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
You can also consider braided hoses, as they don't require bending to fit.

HTH,

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Braided are flexible within a metal sleeve.

They are a popular upgrade on motorbikes.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
Braided hoses only replace the flexible rubber hose that goes from the solid brake pipe to the brake calipers. If you have corrosion on the brake pipes it won't be the flexible hose it will be elsewhere.

If you plan to use a cheapish handheld flaring tools like in the links above make sure you use copper brake pipe as this is softer and a lot easier to flare than the copper / nickel mix pipe.
The pure copper pipe is also a lot easier to form into bends etc.

Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts