Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight leak from the drain plug after an oil change and after more tightening its still there only less. It obviously needs a new washer. I understand Renault do a kind of washer with a rubber "insert" but I imagine a good old copper washer as used for generations will work. My usual car parts place don't stock them. Does any one know the size? I notice on Ebay you can get packs of 10 for very little I just need a size. Can anyone help please.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The copper sump plug washer is size 18 x 24 x 2mm. They are a compressable one-use-only and must be renewed each time they are used.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,671 Posts
The copper washers are for steel sumps and the aluminium ones with the rubber insert for aluminium sumps.
Euro car parts sell the copper washers very cheap and with free delivery :d

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,635 Posts
if you dont have a copper washer clean the old then heat up with a blow torch untill it glows red this makes it soft so you can reuse
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
:) most of its been covered :(

Oh wait 20nm torque for sump plug on my aluminium (fibre/rubber washer) sump plug.
Its not a lot .

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I have a slight leak from the drain plug after an oil change and after more tightening its still there only less. It obviously needs a new washer. I understand Renault do a kind of washer with a rubber "insert" but I imagine a good old copper washer as used for generations will work. My usual car parts place don't stock them. Does any one know the size? I notice on Ebay you can get packs of 10 for very little I just need a size. Can anyone help please.
As already posted dont overtighten.The washers are are about 30p! from the Renault dealer,not worth the risk trying to "match" one up.And the rubber insert washer is for alloy sumps only.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your posts. I'm in a rural area and about an hour away from a Renault dealer so a small sum for an item like this is multiplied many times by the cost of petrol used going to get it. I've ordered a few (the compressible kind) off Ebay so will change the existing one when they arrive using the same oil as its only been in a week or so. I'm sure other people must be in the same position and the size will be useful for them. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts