Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumour has it that my megane might not have come with a radiator bleed screw after all, if that is the case is there anyone able to tell me the correct bleeding procedure for a 1.6rt megane.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Bleeding procedure

Most Renaults have one or more bleeders - usually fitted to one of the hoses - either the top radiator hose or one of the heater hoses - it black with a knurled edge. When filling the coolant system open this first and very slowly fill via the filler cap on the expansion bottle - after every half litre or so let it sit for 15-30 seconds before adding more - this allows time for the trapped air to move around. Continuing filling until coolant appears at the bleeding point. When it takes no more close the bleeder and start the engine and let it idle with the filler cap off as any remaining air will want to accumulate in the expansion tank. Once the pipes start to feel warm open the bleeder again and allow the coolant to escape for a few seconds - close it tight - check the level in the tank - replace the cap and let the car idle for a 15-20 minutes. If all looks O.K take it for a test drive and keep your eye closely on the temperature gauge. If still O.K. - park up and let the engine run until you hear rhe radiator fan cutting in and out at least twice. BE CAREFUL -PROTECT YOUR HANDS AND FACE radiator coolant can become very hot - use thick waterproof gloves or a pair of pliers when unscrewing bleeder valves. Hope this info helps - let me know how you get on. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts