Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told by a Renault Dealer that one of my key cards is faulty and I need a new one. When I insert it the read out says 'card not detected'. They tell me it will cost £130 for a new one. £70 for the card and £50 odd for the re-programming. Does this sound about right?
Regards

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I am told by a Renault Dealer that one of my key cards is faulty and I need a new one. When I insert it the read out says 'card not detected'. They tell me it will cost £130 for a new one. £70 for the card and £50 odd for the re-programming. Does this sound about right?
Regards
in a similar position, have been told £120 -150, so i guess £130 is about right :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Renault Garage in Rochdale offer key cards on receipt of ID for £80 all in.

When asked why only £80, they said its only 5 minutes work, and they can't justify robbing customers like the main dealers do.

"I'll take 2 please"

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts

When asked why only £80, they said its only 5 minutes work, and they can't justify robbing customers like the main dealers do.

"I'll take 2 please"
Big saving for those within Rochdale .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts

"I'll take 2 please"
any chance you could pm me details of this garage, ie. a contact address of web link.?
as i can't find one locally anywhere near as cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
how much??? new keycard costs

hi all, first post.

I too need 2 new key cards for 51 laguna (one lost - that'll be the twins place hide n seek, the other has a broken lock button). Ive been quoted £220 and it takes 15 days to book a slot with renault france for scurity reasons.

Does anybody have the number of the Renault garage in Rochdale thats does them for £80 each....ermmmmm just found the info in another post!!!!

Cheers

Morgo444

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
hi all, first post.

I too need 2 new key cards for 51 laguna (one lost - that'll be the twins place hide n seek, the other has a broken lock button). Ive been quoted £220 and it takes 15 days to book a slot with renault france for scurity reasons.

Does anybody have the number of the Renault garage in Rochdale thats does them for £80 each....ermmmmm just found the info in another post!!!!

Cheers

Morgo444
there ya go, coutesey of sgt bilko
PGC Renault,
Renault House, Molesworth St, Rochdale, Lancashire OL16 1TP
Tel: 01706 353338

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Depending upon whats wrong with your Renault card I would be tempted to look at fitting a reputable aftermarket rolling code alarm/immobiliser with car unlocking feature rather than buying new cards. This assumes the immoiliser function of your Renault car still works. Granted - not an option for the original poster.

You will still need to put your Renault card in the slot (provided it works still) in order to deactivate the imobiliser & steering lock but I guess its going to be a lot cheaper over time than buying Ren cards if you intend to keep the car. Probably pay-back after the first card failure!

As the car lock/unlock is a mechanical switch on the Renault card it IS going to fail at some point.

There is no reason for the proximity detection function of the card (i.e. the reason you put it in the slot) to fail other than destruction of the card itself as the immoiliser activation/deactivation is contactless.

The added advantage is you can get a decent alarm which is loud and can easily disable the ultrasonic detectors. Neither of which you get with the Espace IV.

Must admit I quite like the security of the Renault immobiliser if it works as I think it does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks like rochdale is going to become my local dealership, the one in my home town some 25 miles away from rochdale would probably charge me £200 for a new key:mad:

any idea how much they charge for a curtousy car???

·
Registered
34 Posts
re:key cards

Regards
It does i was lucky enough that when i bought my car they threw in the spare otherwise i was going to have to buy one, and they told me about what u have been quoted

·
Registered
3 Posts
PGC Renault,
Renault House, Molesworth St, Rochdale, Lancashire OL16 1TP
Tel: 01706 353338
Gave them a call today and they're now quoting £80+VAT for the card and £35+VAT for the coding and it should take 7-10 working days. Looks like they may have worked out that they are cheaper than the main dealers, but still cheaper than Renault Manchester, they quoted me £85+£85.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I must be getting so very cynical.

Is it fair that vehicle users should pay substantial amounts of money to fix new product technology when it fails? Was the "old" key system so much worse than having a card in your pocket?

I know that this is all part of progress along with catalysts, belt driven camshafts, asbestos free brakes, it just means that the end user pays and keeps paying as long as they try and keep the car running.

years ago I used to run a car with a Ford V8, pushrod engine and nothing ever needed doing to the engine apart from oil and plug changes. A friend has saved like mad to buy a Ferrari 348. That car needs a cambelt change every 9000 miles which means that the engine has to come out!!!

The cheapest price he has been quoted is £10,500, and thats a cost EVERY 9000!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I was quoted 130euros for a new card when I thoght I had lost one from our local agent in France. Still expensive but it looks cheaper than the UK prices so it might be worth giving them a call.

Fortunately the card turned up at the bottom of my wifes handbag!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts