Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clio III, it's still on the original Michelins, (too many years!) but lots of tread as the car has done very low mileage.
Due to a combination of age, the rubber drying out, UV damage, and the final straw being very long periods of standing (weeks at a time) during the lockdown, obvious cracks have now appeared on two of the tyres, and very much less obvious on the other two.
The cracks have only appeared in the last year. From what I've read cracks are less likely if the car is driven regularly, perhaps the rubber molecules make friends with each other as the tyre flexes?
anyway...
If you examine the cracks although they look bad the depth is very shallow. (The cracks visually look worse than they are the depth is just less than 1mm at the worst points (circled) and much less than 1mm everywhere else.

A couple of questions as I'm not too inclined to replace the tyres at well over £100 a tyre for Michelins (or £65 if I buy cheap ones) if I don't have to.

At what point would they fail an mot?
and
Has anyone ever tried tyre adhesive filler (yes you can buy it) to "mend" the cracks.

Interestingly an online search seems to throw up quite a few posts saying Michelins are prone to cracking, perhaps there are just more of them around...

(posted in hope but already reaching for wallet...)

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,794 Posts
they will fail the MOT like that already. Sorry, but they need to be replaced. There is another recent thread on the same subject, same problem.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they will fail the MOT like that already. Sorry, but they need to be replaced. There is another recent thread on the same subject, same problem.
Thanks (I did search first..) I had a feeling that would be the reply!
ahh just found it...here thx!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,117 Posts
That's the tread delaminating.... when they make tyres they make the body with the reinforcements in one bit and the tread section as another.... then stuff them together in a large heated tool which forms the patterns/tread, cures the rubber and bonds it all together.
You have the thicker tread bit coming off.
MOT fail as they stand if all in that condition.
And worth 3 points per tyre if Old Bill pulls you over.
Sorry.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the tread delaminating.... when they make tyres they make the body with the reinforcements in one bit and the tread section as another.... then stuff them together in a large heated tool which forms the patterns/tread, cures the rubber and bonds it all together.
You have the thicker tread bit coming off.
MOT fail as they stand if all in that condition.
And worth 3 points per tyre if Old Bill pulls you over.
Sorry.
LOL, I'll be OK only 6 points then... I'll get them changed asap thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know it can be very galling replacing tyres especially when they have as much tread as you have!
But in my experience Mich Energy Savers were good at this cracking malarky. the tread compound has a nice low rolling resistance (hence the 'energy saver' bit) but this contributed to a low wear rate which meant the tyres lasted more than long enough to suffer from other deteriorating factors such as UV and all that...

Clio 3 still on the original tyres?? - dude, you've had your moneys worth three times over out of those bad boys!
One place for them - in the bin!!!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 tyres changed, not Michelins but it's interesting that if you compress the tread rubber on the new tyres it feels a lot softer than the remaining Michelins, so either it really is a lot softer or the remaining Michelins have dried out. (tempted to go back to check against a brand new Michelin...LOL..)
I noticed after they were fitted that the load rating on the Michelins is 88V and the new tyres are 84V, but the tyre shop said they were a direct replacement...should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,794 Posts
84 is half a tonne per tyre so I wouldn't worry too much. Not sure what you mean by compressing the tyre rubber but if you are comparing a new tyre to a worn and old one yes they will feel different. If concerned post ALL details including date on sidewall and someone will confirm.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@twodogs thanks, will do...From memory the date codes were mid to late 2020, I'll check
Michelins 195 50 16 88V new much cheaper tyres 195 50 16 84V. (load factor 88=560kg 84 = 500kg)
I'm never going to carry that sort of weight but my concern after what I read was whether an insurance company would refuse a claim - if for example you had an accident caused by a blowout.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,794 Posts
Your insurance company is only concerned if you have changed anything from the manufacturer's recommendations or specifications. What does your handbook say?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good question, I never thought to check!
Update, nothing in the handbook but the sticker on the door with the tyre pressures says 88V. However if I put my reg number into various tyre sites some do specify 84V as a replacement.
I'm not at all concerned about the performance of the tyres and I'll bet this happens with loads of tyre changes, but still....

·
Registered
167 Posts
check out blackcircles cannot advise on michelin as i always go for goodyear have bought used and new never had an issue, rubber only dries after more than 5 years, all tyres have date stamp with week and year so for example 2018 would be week 20 in 2018.
However not sure of effect leaving the car unused for a long time, i am sure lots of batteries and tyres will be replaced when cars come back on road, i kept all my vehicles moving even during lock down, even if it was short trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts