Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to lock the 1.6 petrol engine to enable the crank pulley to come off , it’s leaking engine oil

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Hi alfapat and welcome to the Forum.
I remove the starter motor and jam the starter ring gear. The timing pin is in behind the starter so it has to come off one way or another.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, it’s some mess I’ve got here , I’m hoping I can remove replace seal without altering the timing, is the belt cog just a press fit, so long as it’s not disturbed , should be ok?
cheers Pat

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I’ll look into that, it’s a bit of a pup!
It’s been handed to me as a challenge I think . Been leaking previously after new oil pump fitted, bolts missing fro sump replacement and no cam belt cover !

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Sounds like an expert was let loose on it. Probably going to have to go all the way back into the pump and do it right this time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope I don’t have to go back to pump , does the sump have to be removed to replace engine/ pulley crank seal , please .

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
I haven't done that seal but no. Checking the manual, you can do it in situ or take off the sump and seal housing to do on the bench. There may be a spacer in between the seal and crank and I believe that it can be turned around if the seal has worn a groove in it.
There is a brand new crank pulley screw here on the desk and it's definitely right hand. Had to check it, can't trust the memory :)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,055 Posts
You have to get crank pulley off, then crank sprocket off to change the seal
Its TDC engine,undo/remove crank bolt then pulley, remove belt slide sprocket off
Then pull seal out.
Fill the inner part of the seal where the spring fits with grease
Smear some clean engine oil on the crank, slide seal into place.
Degrease crank then rebuild..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Timing tool arrived and the timing attempted ,
Unfortunately not only does have a securing bracket that fits no 6mm hole , the timing slots will not line up , I assume that given the story that a mechanic before me WHO has been taking short cuts that the rear camshaft is a press fit cog and its been timed badly?
Can someone confirm this , the crank pin is in place I think , the slot behind the starter,
The front cam slot does align and beneath the line of the cylinder head, the thicker half of the halfmoon of the shaft on the lower side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
To further add as I haven't looked very hard for edit!
With the cambelt cover off , it looks like only the rear sprocket could be moved or is a push fit, , would that be correct , anyone?

·
39,055 Posts
What 6 mil hole do you mean, The cams slots at the back , are these the slots you are referring to

Going to take the second question as yes..
If the engine was turned forward a touch more would they fit?
Remove the crank locking pin

Now try,
THIS crank locking pin, can fit below the webbing on the crank, and you think you are in place
So try this ,
Take the spark plug out closest to the timing cover .
Now with a screwdriver place in inside where the plug was
As the engine turns, you will see this screwdriver move up or down.
Now as you are close to TDC, turning the engine slowly clockwise, you will see the screwdriver raise, when you have gone PAST TDC you will see the screwdriver go down , now turn the engine back slightly, until the screwdriver comes back up, but starts to drop again,
PUT your hand on the screwdriver handle, and turn the engine backwards and forwards in a rocking motion with your spanner on the crank, you Will feel TDC.
Now try your locking Pin for the crank,
IF its right the crank wont move back, or go forward,.
DONT get forcing with your spanner
NOW mark the crank to the timing cover..
See what your slots are like now,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok there is a bracket attached to secure the u shape in the slots , its supposed to attach to a convenient fixing , a convenient bolt hole about 6mm . But as have bought cheap , probably , its missing the extra luxury of covering all versions?
Yeah I have tried the forward , back , only slightly as it not a good thing and the lock wouldn't line up . I have done this without the crank locking pin in ,
Yes the screw driver is the next thing to confirm, I am just trying ask the above all this is if the rear camshaft is on a push fit tolerance , in other words , if the previous fitter has tried to fit a cambelt without a cam lock , this would be what I am finding now , out of line.
Thank you for replying I have done quite a few timing belts but this is new to me .

·
39,055 Posts
Are you calling the rear camshaft where the slot is.
then no this is part of the camshaft, it wont come off

The mechanic who fitted it probably like me never used a tool to lock the camshafts,

If the engine was running ok before he fitted it, he would mark in his own special way and just fit the belt , and put the belt on exactly how the old came off..

We would have to have thousands of pounds worth of locking tools to cover all engines
One screwdriver, one bottle of tipex, and lots of drinks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No the driven end , I’m know the slot end doesn’t change but the sprocket can as it’s pressed on to the shaft drive , that’s what I’m asking , in turn making the other where the lock plate fits wrongly sitting for synchronising with the inlet cam . I can’t believe you are not understanding me . At present the the cams are not synchronised. I am trying to lock everything at Tdc and remove and replace crank seal. All I’m saying is that the exhaust sprocket must be a tolerance fit and not keyed to be out at the slotted end .

·
39,055 Posts
The bolt holding the sprocket on the camshaft needs undoing

Slight tap on the sprocket and the sprocket will rotate..

1 - 20 of 83 Posts