Independent Renault Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Waiting for camshaft seals to be delivered so haven’t started assembly yet.
can I ask Ours2012 , what purpose greasing the inner part of the seals behind the lip serves.
I will of course dry behind them for the pulley fit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Ok get your drift , thanks, now received generic seals for camshafts , more expensive than genuine £62 wow I hope it’s worth it , sending them back is ok but what’s £8
will keep you updated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Ah well total waste of a week , ordered a locking plate to undo cam sprockets and it broke on the retaining pins add to that the seals are incorrect Arghh!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well after a day of hell , the seals by the way have an expanding lip and a rel pain to fit , wasn't sure if I got one right , behind the vvt pulley.(It went into far on the shaft ) , the pulley then slides into it to seal the oil pressure , so not sure if the lip would catch it.. How ever the plate for locking the pulleys was broken last night , I'm not sure it meant to restrain the pulleys for lightning or slackening , but they do line up the correct positions.So trying to repair it caused the teeth on the sprockets to be half a tooth out , took a while to fix the and more skinned hands.
Finally took the courage to start the bleedin thing and more oil leaks !
Took the th top cover off as I figured the seal would be the problem , by this time of course the oil is all over the place.
I cleaned around the area below the vvt pulley as much as possible , and started the car again with a view to the inlet pulley.
Cant be sure what happened but no or very little leaks , alot of residual around ,perhaps the seal slotted into a better position? Tided up and a rerun tomorrow.
Cautiously optimistic!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Would anyone know if the vvt pulleys leak on these engines(K4M 858) please.
Could someone show a break down of the seals on the inlet camshaft , is it just the one in the block or is there one at the very end , like an o ring.
like in this groove shown.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,607 Posts
Sorry for all the grief you are having. Just a thought, is the engine breather OK? Wondering whether crankase pressure is a factor causing the leaks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I can check , is there a filter to the system , maybe off the back of the crankcase or block ?
One of the problems I discovered when I first got the car , an generic dipstick that was all curled up so giving a wrong reading was a result of the sump too full of oil. Unless this oil is blocked of the air breathing system , it’s unlikely , but a thought all the same. I still think the dephaser is too wet and maybe the cause , I’m not certain of this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Can anyone tell me if the inlet seal that Renault supply for behind the vvt pulley goes on dry to the pulley .

Aftermarket ones advise dry.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,051 Posts
have never put a seal on dry its fill with grease and a smear of oil on the shaft.

Unless it comes with the fitting cone ..

Then the seal is already on the cone, and you slide the whole unit over the cam shaft and just push the seal in , and slide the cone off after the seal has been fitted
Must be a reason why your seals keep failing
Fitting error once yeah can accept that
But only the once, something else is off here..
Cannot download your pictures to get a better view for some reason,

Post your Oval plate on here, cover your VIN,
Let me get the engine diagram up my end

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Ok this was the aftermarket instructions for the camshaft seal , it has a small lip and no spring inside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So this is the Renault seal about to be place , you can just make out the small grey lip, it’s sitting on a holder to prevent damage I presume . The boss of the vvt pulley slidesin from the back left looking at seal in pic .
This is why I ask , I may have fitted the seal in too far that’s why I am fitting another one , the lip may have not sat on the boss correctly with the pulley in place. My fault obviously. I am fitting a new pulley also .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
So all built up and still leaking , what!!!!!
  • Stripped it back down and set up to run without covers and this is the result .
  • Sorry don’t seam to be able to download videos
    I put this seal in, Renault gen. and it appears to be leaking again. This does have a spring inside and behind and greased to help rebuild. Anyway it leaks !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
have never put a seal on dry its fill with grease and a smear of oil on the shaft.

Unless it comes with the fitting cone ..

Then the seal is already on the cone, and you slide the whole unit over the cam shaft and just push the seal in , and slide the cone off after the seal has been fitted
Must be a reason why your seals keep failing
Fitting error once yeah can accept that
But only the once, something else is off here..
Cannot download your pictures to get a better view for some reason,

Post your Oval plate on here, cover your VIN,
Let me get the engine diagram up my end
This seal on the vvt end of camshaft doesn’t require any guide , the pulley does the guidance when fitting it on to the shaft.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,051 Posts
Isn't that the cone, you leave the seal on that and slide that and the seal over as one unit and you push the seal into place, then pull the cone off

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The pic is of the camshaft seal , , it doesnt need a cone . The problem seems to be I didnt use the cone supplied with the crankshaft sel , yes I know it a learning process which was too late for the crank , but used it on in exhaust cam sel , which is perfect..On closer inspection of the crank one it has left it slighly in more on one side than the other , so I tapped the shallower side a little more but after rebuild that was too late and I should have used the cone supplied . NIGHTMARE!.
I'M NEEDING TECHIE HELP !

61 - 80 of 81 Posts