Independent Renault Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ok , new crank seal ordered and mounting plate as someone has hacked the outer seal surface .
Dropped the sump slightly and withdrew the crank seal plate to find that the seal was compromised by me and the sump seal slightly pushed in when I had previously removed for inspection , because I had not dropped the sump far enough !! A hard way to learn . I don’t think my seal was far enough in to use the lip properly but a combination of the two hasn’t help my disaster!
Not seen that easily here but this has been compromised by pushing in the housing and the sump not dropped enough.
This is what it should sit like .
in too far , possibly , it sits on the bush driving the oil pump sprocket.
Should it be more flush to the outer face of the housingas long as the whole seal is on the bushing , if that makes sense !...?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I know this thread is a bit long and drawn out , but I didn't envisage repairing someone else's work which has created so many pitfalls .Its good to know the history but has been short coming so the problems have been ongoing , but thanks to the support on this thread .
I have not done or worked on this engine before and has been a steep learning curve even with my experience.
I admit that I have made mistakes and I think I have found the last one . I have told all and hopefully this will help others with the same or similar symptoms.....
The first time I got the crank shaft seal I didn't use the plastic insert tool in the package , I thought it was to safe guard the seal .
When I pushed it into the housing and over the shoulder of the bush on the oil pump the lip got caught and reversed backwards,[there is no spring on the lip) , I discovered this after I removed the seal when it leaked and completely my fault .Also the housing for the seal will be replaced because the previous repair had hacked at the outer housing , presumably to replace the last seal .....completely unnecessary form of removal. I have also drooped the sump to allow free placement of the seal housing along with the seal in place and the plastic tool safeguarding the lip on the seal over the bushing previously mentioned.
Watch this space!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,350 Posts
Some learning curve here buddy
Well done for sticking with this engine and not going for a donor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Believe me that was a consideration to start with , had I known the rotten history to what I now know, and now I’ve spent that much , I have to finish this.
parts tomorrow and then...

81 - 84 of 84 Posts