33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
ive got a 2002 laguna with cruise control
when i was on the motorway today i thought i would try the cruise control
nothing seems to happen
what could i be doing wrong or could the cruise control be knackered
its the first time ive tried it
ive had cars with cruise control fitted before and they have all worked.

thanks garry

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i do not know if yours is the same as mine but i have a button that needs turning on first on the dash then a another two on the steering wheel to do - + speed and memory i hope this helps i would also check the fuse if the light is not coming on when you press the button the dash

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)
Hi i do not know if yours is the same as mine but i have a button that needs turning on first on the dash then a another two on the steering wheel to do - + speed and memory i hope this helps i would also check the fuse if the light is not coming on when you press the button the dash
i dont think there is a button on the dash
(you ve got me thinking now):)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
:)

i dont think there is a button on the dash
(you ve got me thinking now):)
I drive a 2002 Espace so may well not be the same but i do have a button to turn mine off and on i would of thought yours will not be that different to mine but knowing Renault it will:crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I drive a 2002 Espace so may well not be the same but i do have a button to turn mine off and on i would of thought yours will not be that different to mine but knowing Renault it will:crazy:

Yes. It is to the right of the steering wheel. When it is on, it shows that the cruise control is available in the rectangle below the odometer. You also have a button that disables the ESP next to it and another that toggles on/off voice-warnings.

After you enable the cc, you have to set it using the little buttons on your steering wheel. The + sets it at the speed you are travelling at and subsequent presses add to the speed. The - works the other way round. Then you have the R button which retains the last-set speed in memory and the O button then removes the memory.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yep, the cruise control master switch is in about the most moronic place possible, short of sticking it in the back of the car, or possibly under the bonnet. It's in the bank of switches that's just below the driver's end dash vent, and you can't actually see the switch from the normal driving position because the steering wheel gets in the way. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a straightforward on/off cruise control master switch, as you'd just leave it on all the time. But this is the switch that you have to use to switch between cruise and limiter as well. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to finding the thing purely by feel.

Vass has already covered the operation of cruise. The limiter is like cruise control in reverse. You drive the car normally, but when you hit the pre-programmed speed, the car won't go any faster unless you floor the gas pedal. Unlike cruise, the limiter doesn't drop out if you use the brakes or change gear.

There's a light on the dash (looks like a tiny speedo dial) which is green when the car is in cruise mode, yellow when it's in limiter mode, and off if neither is selected.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
But this is the switch that you have to use to switch between cruise and limiter as well. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to finding the thing purely by feel

Yep, but even now I sometimes switch the switch to limiter when I actually want cruise. I don't use either on a daily basis so I never "remember" which way to push the switch.
If I'm on a decent journey or get to use it 2 days in a row then I remember. I just feel for the switch and press it, if the cruise comes on great - I got it right first time!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i checked to see if i have button on the dash
well i havent :mad:
but i have the buttons on the steering wheel

i pulled the pannel off where the switch is ment to be and i found the wiring behind the pannel
so would it be possible to fit the switch ?????????

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
i checked to see if i have button on the dash
well i havent :mad:
but i have the buttons on the steering wheel

i pulled the pannel off where the switch is ment to be and i found the wiring behind the pannel
so would it be possible to fit the switch ?????????

I would be tempted to nip into Renault's and ask them how come they forgot to put the button in the dash;)

Seriously, if the supplier of the new car is near you, you could do worse than try that.

Mine is a May 2002 reg and is fully populated; could yours be an earlier one or maybe the man who puts those buttons in place decided to go home early that day they built yours?:d

If this car has had a few owners, it could also be that it has been rebadged and a 'pretend' cruise fitted... you know, a steering wheel from the scrappy. Do the steering wheel buttons actually light?

Your local dealer should be able to tell you if it came out of the factory with cruise or without.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel don't Light up, at all even with side lights etc on. At least they don't on our 04 model, they aren't suppossed to either. I don't think cruise became standard until late 2003 on Privilege spec models. Think it was only standard on Initiale. Not sure about Dynamiques etc after 2003.
So this may not be a good guide to see if yours light up or not.
Apart from the switches on the dash you would also need to make sure the switches are in place for the clutch,brake etc - as these will cut off cruise if you use one of them, also no doubt the ECU would need re-programming.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got cruise on my 02 Privilege model and the buttons on the wheel don't light up. I think it was only standard on privilege and initiale models upto 05

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I keep meaning to double-check when it's dark, but I'm pretty sure mine don't light up either. I'm not convinced that they're meant to either.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I keep meaning to double-check when it's dark, but I'm pretty sure mine don't light up either. I'm not convinced that they're meant to either.
Nope - they certainly aren't on our 04 model. I looked closely about 12mths back when other people mentioned it on here. The "lettering" is just painted on. I Also asked dealer who said NO.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I'm fairly sure they are meant to light up on my 02 phase 1. I think when I bought my car they came on for about 5 seconds but I haven't seen them since. Maybe it was the mirror because before I set off in it, I paused for a moment to reflect. 'Les Createurs' work in mysterious ways.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes. It is to the right of the steering wheel. When it is on, it shows that the cruise control is available in the rectangle below the odometer. You also have a button that disables the ESP next to it and another that toggles on/off voice-warnings.

After you enable the cc, you have to set it using the little buttons on your steering wheel. The + sets it at the speed you are travelling at and subsequent presses add to the speed. The - works the other way round. Then you have the R button which retains the last-set speed in memory and the O button then removes the memory.

Enjoy!
On mine, the O button turns cruise control off (temporarily) and R button resumes at the previous speed.

Whilst we're on the subject of cruise control, does anybody know how Adaptive Cruise Control works in the Vel Satis? Mine is supposed to have it (it is a 3.5 auto), but I can't find any switch to control it. If it is on automatically, it didn't stop me nearly running up someones backside when I was testing it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought, but I recently collected my 2002 laguna with cruise on it. It worked ok, then stopped! Until I realised my foot was resting on the clutch!! Took it off... end of problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8l Laguna. Cruise control switch not working properly. Button on the dask will activate the speed limiter but cannot get the cruise control to kick in at any speed.
Does anyone know if I can manually reset the cruise control function or do I have to go to A Renault garage. I've disconnected the battery and everything else reset... radio, mpg, mph etc. Thanks Gerry

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8l Laguna. Cruise control switch not working properly. Button on the dask will activate the speed limiter but cannot get the cruise control to kick in at any speed.
Does anyone know if I can manually reset the cruise control function or do I have to go to A Renault garage.
I just picked my 2004 1.8 from the garage, and the cruise control doesn't work any more, although the limiter does, so I'm experiencing the same symptoms as you are.
I'm gonna give the lads at the garage a buzz tomorrow about it, as it worked before I took it to the garage. Stay tuned. :)

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
for cruise control & ESP is there any extra boxes under the bonnet around the battery area?

my 02 privilege has the cables in the dash to take the ESP/Cruise control switches(along with a spare connector loose above the pedals box) and i have tried plugging in a CC switch and the CC lamps in the dash light up?

if i got a CC steering wheel and the switches what else would i need (other than a new car:d) ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts