Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and would like some advice. I want to buy a rear cycle carrier to transport two bikes (I don't have a tow bar). I have purchased two so far and had to take them back as they didn't fit. (Don't listen to anyone in Halfords who looks no older than 12). On the way to return the second one a Grand Scenic 2005 model passed me on the motorway with three bikes hanging on to the back from a carrier. I couldn't catch the bloke as he was motoring and my tiny engine doesn't do fast. There must be a carrier out there that will fit. Rang the Paddy Hopkirk advice line this morning and was told that their carriers don't fit two models of car - my Scenic and the other car was my wifes Megane sports which has a spoiler.
I am getting so desperate I am thinking of having a tow bar fitted but this option seems expensive to cart around two old bikes bought from ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Have you tried Renault. We had similar problems getting one for our Laguna ST, as the rear hatch is plastic.

We ended up getting a genuine Renault rack for about £130, holds 3 bikes. The rack bolts on with preattached brackets that bolt on to the car. There atre pre- drilled and threaded holes on the inside of the rear door and just under the handle above the number plate on the outside. It mounts high up so bikes are clear of lights and number plate.

You may well find that Renault do something similar for the scenic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried Renault dealer and they offered roof bars or a carrier that attaches to a tow bar. I think I am running out of options.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
They didn't know about the Laguna rack either when we enquired, I ended up showing them a picture in the Laguna Accessories brochure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update. I will try the dealer again this weekend. I will have a look at the brochure myself first.

G

·
Kavs said:
Tried Renault dealer and they offered roof bars or a carrier that attaches to a tow bar. I think I am running out of options.
Ask OG about this. There was a recall on the old style ones and the only alternative replacement IIRC was the tow ball mounted one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer has confirmed that they no longer offer a rear carrier for safety reasons. They only offer a carrier for the roof or tow bar.
A colleague in work then told me of an accident he witnessed when a rear carrier suddenly dropped and the bikes fell off a car he was following on the motorway.
Needless to say I am getting a tow bar fitted this weekend.

Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a towbar mounted Atera rack (Duo XL?? from memory - may be wrong) from www.roofbox.co.uk. It's about £300 + towbar but will carry anything. I couldn't fnd anything else that would carry 2 adult bikes, a young child's bike and a trailer bike. It's fab but not cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Andy,

Ended up getting a tow bar fitted and bought a tow bar carrier too. Only fits two bikes but appears to be safe enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tow Bars and stuff

I too spent some time trying to find a suitable rack to hang off the back. Thought wed found one which had thick pads - two on the bodywork and two on the glass.

It seemed to be secure enough, but as we put the second kids bike on the bodywork started to bend alarmingly. Clearly this part of the body is not designed to take the weight.

So, it's off to Indespension who quoted £250 to fit a tow bar.

A

·
Registered
1 Posts
halfords

try not to be too rude about us in halfords-we try really hard to help everyone who asks us for help-yes some of us are quite young(not me)but with your help and advice they will learn
be patient with us and treat us as good-we will always do our best-if the staff cant help the manager always knows everything

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been through the mill on this one having just bought an 04 Scenic II. The Thule roof bars (& carriers) I have from previous car would not fit.

I looked at all the options and identified the Thule BackPak Carrier (Model 973). This is intended for vans & MPVs. You also need a fitting kit. It holds 2 bikes, but you can buy another extra bit if you need to carry 3. You wont get much change from £150. Take a look at www.thule.com.

I did not go for this because...
1) you cannot open tailgate with it fitted
2) I always think they look unsafe
3) I worry about damage at the points where it contacts the car.

I went "roof mounted" as before...

1) Renault Touring Line roof bars (in aluminium). These are not curved so bikes will actually stand upright and have a T-Track (that is used for fitting stuff like boxes and cycle carriers)

2) Thule 530 cycle carriers with 530-1 T-Track fittings from skidrive.co.uk (best price I could find).

My Scenic has a Glass roof, but if this had not been the case, Thule roof bars would have been a possibility.

I think that there is also an "inside carrier" from Renault (2 bikes) that fits in place of 2 of the rear seats. Ask your dealer to show you their accessories catalog.

Hope this helps...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts