Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After spending the last week trying to follow the instructions from the Haynes manual i now need some advice. I have removed the valve cover and unscrewed the manifolds from the head but cant get them to prise away. I also cant seem to be able to remove the timing belt from the end of the block/head, I can see bolts which i presume are the ones i need to undo but i cant find anyway fo fit a socket or spanner in the gap to get to them. It is an Energy engine and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi i have just completed head /valve change on a 98 1.4 8v clio , i presume its not the same engine as yours but a few comments anyway:d.
I found it easier to remove the head with both manifolds in place and then strip them on the bench, the only snag was a bolt holding the inlet manifold to a bracket on the block, once i found that it all lifted off easily.
Why not just cut the timing belt off, it shouldnt be reused anyway

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I can't get the cover off to get to the timing belt to be able to cut it. I can't get access to the bolts on the metal cover to remove it. Think I will just have to wait for it to pack in or spend the money for a mechanic to look at it. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
41 Posts
as your clio got the engine mount above the timing cover? if so support the sump and remove the engine mount to gain better access

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricky, I have attatched a pic of the engine(not mine but the same). Do you mean the metal bracket on the left of the picture? I have had this off but could not remove the black cover that it is bolted into protecting the timing belt

Please wait
Image not available

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
yep that appears to be an engine mounting, once off cant you jack the engine up slighty on that side to improve access. as i said earlier its not the engine im used to so just 'thinking out aloud'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts