Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:forehead: Can enyone tell me how to fix my cylinder head ......I recently put a new engine in my renult megane but i snapped a maifold bolt and tried to drill it out :forehead: durrrrrr in doing so i ended up drilling through the head and water pi***D out. I have filled it with chemical metal it fixed the problem but has started leaking again not alot but enough to have to top it up every morning. Will i have to replace the head or is there sumthing else i can do to fix this.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
the only correct fix is to replace the head. having said that, it might be possible to have it tig welded. whichever way., the head has to come off.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the manifold studs go into the water ways on the 8 valve heads anyway,it's not a case that you've drilled through the head.

As long as the stud is replaced (drill,tap the hole etc) and seals then all will be well.:)

R

·
0 Posts
he's already tride one bodge, what makes you think another bodge will work any better?
There are several options I would try before replacing the cylinder head. It might end up costing more to fix the leak than the cars worth?

Because it's only a slight leak with a stud in it so no reason a good quality coolant sealer won't hold.

The thread has probably been damaged so another possibilty would be to drill and tap the next size up and use a helicoil insert.

On the other hand removing the stud and wrapping it with PTFE tape would also work and that's quite a well "tride" and tested way of sealing threads. plumbers do it all the time :) seal leaks that is.

Maybe even using thread lock would also work the list just goes on.

Hey but what do I know I'm only an engineer who's been repairing cars for over 30 years. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure that the manifold studs go into the water ways on the 8 valve heads anyway,it's not a case that you've drilled through the head.

As long as the stud is replaced (drill,tap the hole etc) and seals then all will be well.:)
Thing is wen I was drilling the stud out the drill went down the left hand side of the stud wen I had a look u could see a hole bout 3mm in size the chemical metal sealed it ok but on the frosty mornings it's been leaking it dosent leak wen it's warm I'm thinking the "cm" must shrink with the cold

R

·
0 Posts
It may be the hole wasn't dry before you applied the chemical metal? so it hasn't sealed properly sealed?

I don't think it's the plastic metal thats shrinking it's everything around it thats expanding when it get's warm thats sealing the leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts