Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 98' Lag RTi that has the standard dashboard.

I know some have the ones with trip computers on them.

What extra functions do they have, and can they just be swapped straight over?

Cheers, Mark

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I think I've read that you can swap them. From dim and distant memory, you get...
Time elapsed since trip reset
Miles elapsed since trip reset
Average speed since trip reset
Average fuel economy since trip reset
Expected range on remaining fuel (based on average fuel economy since trip set.)

You also get two trip memories. Memory 2 can be reset independently of memory 1, though resetting memory 1 clears both of them.

Like the Lag II, the fuel functions stop working just when you need them the most - i.e. as soon as you go onto low fuel. Also, there's no instantaneous fuel economy. I know it doesn't apply in your case, but I vaguely recall the fuel functions not being available on the earlier diesels, even when they had the trip computer as part of the factory spec.

But owners of the Laguna II are probably still wondering "Why is the trip computer on my later model so crappy by comparison?" I know I am :p

The earlier dash had the odometer separate from the trip computer and remembered which display it was last on when you turned off the ignition. The later ones have the trip computer merged with the odometer (the space prevously used for the odometer is then used for the gear selection indicator on the automatics.) They always revert to total mileage when the ignition is first switched on, so the earlier dash is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I bump this thread since i am also wondering about retrofitting a trip computer and would be happy to share the experience of others who might have tried...

I have a megane optimale 1,6 16v -02 without trip computer, but the wiper stalk has been replaced and the new one has a button for trip computer.
Since the instrument cluster has started to work irratic lately i will probably have to replace it soon, so it would of course be nice to buy a new instrument with onboard trip computer since i already have the button on the wiper stalk...
But - is it really that easy? Anyone tried and could share some info? Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mattias

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mattias.:)

Hopefully someone will be along to help you soon,although I can't see it being as easy as just replacing the screen and the wiperstalk.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts