Independent Renault Forums banner

Dashboard failing

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bugsb 
#1 ·
The dashboard in the car is sometimes blinking on and off, sometimes it goes completely dark, sometimes it just fades. It does this at 60mph and it does it while you're sitting in traffic. Figures like the fuel range go crazy and obviously can't be trusted. The rest of the car seems to work. Sometimes the beep sound of the key fob locking the doors is made even when driving along. Wife finding it a bit stressful at the moment.

Any ideas gentlemen?

PS it's a Renault Scenic Megan 1.6 from 2006

#3 ·
That's amazing if they do it for that price! I'll contact them on Monday morning :d

Out of curiosity would it be a similar price to change the wiring loom in general? I've been living without a fan and air conditioning now for 2 years - I used to just open a window but then, of course, the electric windows packed up :(

Mike

#5 ·
Try that Renault garage again as it is true Renault will replace the dash for about 130 euro, perhaps they are not up-to speed on what the Renault policy is. I had mine done on an 04 Scenic 2, the only problem was the gave me back the car with zero miles on the clock, and told me there was nothing they could do about it.

#7 ·
one option to tide you over is to just whip one out of a scrap car(£25-30), the canbus network will have a bit of a fit and wont talk to a CLIP properly when its plugged in for testing, but overall it will work (tried and tested ok on a 2002 laguna2) (with a french/german speedo unit with km dials...)

its a car!, if i wanted to buy a computer on wheels i would buy a mini-pc and mount it on a RC chassis...

#9 ·
I spoke to the RCS number and was told if the car is over 10 years old then I have to pay in full. That also ties in with what the Renault garage I first called stated. The car is only 11 years old and has been quite well looked after but it's been plagued by electrical issues. Sadly with these issues it just doesn't make sense to throw £600 at the car. I have found an interesting video on youtube that explains why the thing fails (bad solder joint) and I might have a go at fixing it myself. I just need to take some brave pills first.

#11 ·
That explains why the thing fails (bad solder joint) and I might have a go at fixing it myself. I just need to take some brave pills first.
That's exactly what I'd do faced with a £600 bill, if the dash is scrap now, IMO you can't make it very much worse.

===================
Change of topic
The heater had gone kaput on my old Mk1 Laguna because it had air con the dealer funnily enough wanted £600 to replace the heater matrix, the only way to cure it he said.

Because it looked a plumbers nightmare under the bonnet like you I also needed a dose of brave pills before I'd touch it :eek:

Nevertheless I went GOLD & stripped the cooling system but left the original heater matrix in place, I reverse flushed everything, over and over again. On completion I'd still got £600 quid in my wallet that Renault wanted, and better still I'd got good deal of heat from the heater again. :d

Good luck with it, try not to allow too much heat get through to component level, use an heat-sink if at all possible wherever you can.

#12 ·
I tried calling the cluster repairs people and they seemed quite capable. More importantly they only charged £70-£90 to do the fix. Only issue would be I'd need to extract the electronics from the dashboard myself and mail them off which means the wife would have a huge hole in the dashboard for a week. I might try the fix myself and, if it looks too tough or anything looks unclear, I'll send it off to these guys.

#13 ·
As long as you have sat nag, or some other way of telling speed, it's quite legal to drive without a dash.

#14 ·
The dashboard continued to flicker until this week when it simply stopped working. Actually it did beep and click quite madly but the screen stayed black. I finally took the plunge and followed a youtube explanation of how to remove the electronics. It wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. The actual problem always seems to be with the soldering on the coil attached to the circuit board so I unsoldered it and reattached it. And everything lit up perfectly including an error message (just said "ERROR") that appeared on the right hand side.

I gave up at that point and drove to the only guy I could find who'd do the job that day. It was nearly a 3 hour drive in the rain which is never brilliant in our car - fan only works on setting 3, air conditioning never works, windows don't work, dashboard doesn't work, even the radio doesn't work at the moment. Hey ho.

I got there and the guy tells me I'd actually fixed it and that the error message was nothing to do with the dashboard failing. It then dawns on me that that was the message from the radio telling me the security code wasn't correct. I turned off the radio and of course the message disappeared. I couldn't ever put the code in because the dashboard failure meant it never allowed me to. Another 3 hour drive home but this time I had the dashboard and even music.

A £600 bill from Renault fixed by a mechanical numpty with a soldering iron cost £0. A sort of Christmas ending anyway! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.