Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughters clio 1.2 2002 has started having the left winker to work and when you put the right one on it flashes left again and the left flasher only on the dashboard works.
i have replaced the whole dashboard unit but it does the same. when you put emergency lights on they all flash ie left and right winkers. all bulbs work and on the odd ocassion the winker flashes left on its own without touching controls but never right.

what is going on.:rofl:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you get into the indicator stalk as i have taken out and cleaned connections on main part of stalk

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I have had experiences of cars wanting to indicate left as your driving along without touching the stalk,and it has always been down to the springs in the stalk being worn.As drive along,the stalk drops which then turns on the left indicator.

The units are sealed,so you need a new switch.You can try and take the switch apart,but there are small springs etc inside which never seem to want to go back in properly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and more. i took the whole stalk apart and disconnected the stalk completely and the winker is still winking left without any connection to the stalk switch. i have checked all earth connections and emergency flashes still work on both sides

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
They are not winkers they are indicators

Have you checked out the flasher relay - or could be a short between cables somewhere. I seen a similar prob once before and it kept recurring until I discovered my granny was hanging her handbag on the indicator stalk LOL:rofl:
Also check out the rear light clusters in case there is a short in the cluster connection base. Try disconnecting each flasher bulb in turn and see if it is affected - that way you may be able to track down the source of the problem.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Not sure exactly where it is on your model but they are usually around the glove box area or under the bonnet - Swithch on the indicators or hazard warning lights and listen you should be able to hear it and you can track it down that way - it usually resides beside other relays such as the wiper delay, rear screen, etc.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found relays under glove box at back attached to a rather large black box with connectors going into it. took all relays out and no effect on winker it kept going. what is the large black box 6inch by 4inch with three lots of connectors going into it at back were relays were the noise from the winkers comes from the dashboard itself but i have replaced that.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Unfortunately without being able to see it is hard to tell but I think on your model it's the ECU (electronice control unit) which is programmed by Renault. I have heard of this unit causing problems with the rear and front fogs not working on some models but I'm not sure about the indicators. My next move would be to remove all the indicator bulbs on that side of the car and if it continues I think it will mean a trip to a renault or a good auto-electrician.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's the UCH unit

(hopefully the 'UCH' part should become clickable and more info is attatched.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts