Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2010 Megane VVT 1.6 Generation.
Have noticed two bulbs never come on. Nearest to front Indicators. Have you tubed it. But nothing.
Tried all light switches in car and they still do not come on!
Are they daylights or what are they?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,096 Posts
Are they the small bulbs in the top corner of the headlamp?
They are variously called position lamps or parking lights.
They should come on with the tail lamps when the main light switch is in position 1.
On the Grand Scenic they are H6W
They fail fairly often, once every eighteen months or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they the small bulbs in the top corner of the headlamp?
They are variously called position lamps or parking lights.
They should come on with the tail lamps when the main light switch is in position 1.
On the Grand Scenic they are H6W
They fail fairly often, once every eighteen months or so.
Slighly smaller than the indicator bulbs. They never come on

·
Registered
826 Posts
On some Meganes they never come on. You will have DRLs which are quite bright, they come on with the ignition & engine. But when you switch on the light switch to the first position ("side lights") then the DRLs will dim and act as side lights. (The 2 red lights at the back will come on as well, and the number plate light).
If this happens then the 2 other bulbs will not ever come on, they are just for fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On some Meganes they never come on. You will have DRLs which are quite bright, they come on with the ignition & engine. But when you switch on the light switch to the first position ("side lights") then the DRLs will dim and act as side lights. (The 2 red lights at the back will come on as well, and the number plate light).
If this happens then the 2 other bulbs will not ever come on, they are just for fun.
No lights come on with ignition unless I put them on with stick.
Silly just having bulbs for show. What's point in that?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
As Clio says, if you have DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) then the sidelamps in the headlamp units are simply dummies and will never come on....only there as it is cheaper to fit a common unit and not connect them then have differing designs of unit.

If no DRLs, those lights should come on when you turn your stalk to sidelamps, usually 1st position and be on when headlamps are on.
MOT fail and could even be pulled by Old Bill (though unlikely IMO) for them not to be working.
Chances are simply need new bulbs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have a 2010 Megane VVT 1.6 Generation.
Have noticed two bulbs never come on. Nearest to front Indicators. Have you tubed it. But nothing.
Tried all light switches in car and they still do not come on!
Are they daylights or what are they?
Hi,
Some models have cornering lights. when you turn left the light comes on, when you straighten it turns off. same for right turning too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Clio says, if you have DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) then the sidelamps in the headlamp units are simply dummies and will never come on....only there as it is cheaper to fit a common unit and not connect them then have differing designs of unit.

If no DRLs, those lights should come on when you turn your stalk to sidelamps, usually 1st position and be on when headlamps are on.
MOT fail and could even be pulled by Old Bill (though unlikely IMO) for them not to be working.
Chances are simply need new bulbs
When dry day will check all fuses and take unit out and check the bulbs.
Hi,
Some models have cornering lights. when you turn left the light comes on, when you straighten it turns off. same for right turning too!
Oh wouldn't know if
mine did that. Can't see when I'm driving lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
When its dark, switch on dipped headlights, turn steering wheel fully one direction then climb out and have a look!
Now let’s come down to its function. Driving a vehicle in the dark, the headlights have a limited spread. This is where the cornering lights come in. The cornering lights when turning the vehicle offer a wider spread of the light. As we turn the wheels one side, either left or right, the cornering lights of that particular side turns on illuminating the blind spot. Very Posh!:rolleyes:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
post a picture, we have no idea what you mean
assuming you have now tested/replaced the bulbs,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are directional lights.
My mate was in front of me other night and said my lights were brighter when cornering.

·
23,233 Posts
My mate was in front of me other night and said my lights were brighter when cornering.
Is your mate sure that isn't the normal focus on dipped headlamps which will make them seem brighter if you are to the left of them?

Checked your sidelight blubs yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is your mate sure that isn't the normal focus on dipped headlamps which will make them seem brighter if you are to the left of them?

Checked your sidelight blubs yet?
All bulbs are fine not blown, filaments intact. All other lights work by using controls.

·
23,233 Posts
All bulbs are fine not blown, filaments intact. All other lights work by using controls.
So when you checked the bulbs, did you find that they were connected with wires into the electrical loom?

To me you have one of 3 situations.
Either those are acting as sidelights but somehow not working.
Or you have DRLs and integral sidelights are simply dummies and don't need to work.
Or your vehicle is unlawful and should never have passed an MOT.

I suppose there is a 4th, you have DRLs and they are not working.

Got a photo of the front of your car? Cover the number plate.

·
23,233 Posts
No DRLs... I know you said but was starting to doubt my sanity.
Those side lamps (the little bulbs by the indicators) should be working and by law, must be, doubt the police would bother but straight MOT fail without them.
Should light up with first position selected on stalk.
You say you have checked the bulbs...by opening up back of headlamp unit, removing the bulb holder and having a good look?
Tried a new bulb in one...they pull out of the holder.
If yes and still no joy, hopefully someone can point you to the fuse for them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No DRLs... I know you said but was starting to doubt my sanity.
Those side lamps (the little bulbs by the indicators) should be working and by law, must be, doubt the police would bother but straight MOT fail without them.
Should light up with first position selected on stalk.
You say you have checked the bulbs...by opening up back of headlamp unit, removing the bulb holder and having a good look?
Tried a new bulb in one...they pull out of the holder.
If yes and still no joy, hopefully someone can point you to the fuse for them.
Hopefully can try other bulbs tomorrow. Not had much time.
My fuse box is confusing as does not much diagram in manual 8n car!!! This link shows the lights that do not come on.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...o7QBegQIBRAE&usg=AOvVaw3J2CM7FuPwd1HwKejavdtY

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing on stalk for DLS or little screen. Little screen just comes up with language and door locking to select. The bulbs are 21w 12v clear, same size as indicator bulbs. Wiring connects to the bulbs.
Not sure where fuse is, as manual I have does not match my fuse box. HELP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts