Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my timing belt and aux belt replaced a couple of weeks ago. Not happy with the way the car is running, but all that is in another thread.

I was looking at it today and although I was assured they used Renault parts, the aux belt clearly has Dayco printed on it.

I can only presume that the timing belt is Dayco too.

I don't know who Dayco are, but they sound cheap. I will be talking to the garage about this, but would Renault parts be any better?

Do Dayco make the pulley and tensioner too?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Dayco are OEM's of belts, tensioners and a lot more besides. If Renault don't currently fit Dayco it is only because they got a cheaper price from someone else:)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never fitted a Dayco timing belt so couldn’t really comment on them . :idunno:

Edit I see roby has said whilst I was busy typing this tha they are OEM suppliers.

I fitted a FAI timing belt kit to my 1.4 16 valve Scenic around 6,000 miles ago and haven’t had any problems at all. I know years ago they didn’t have a particularly good reputation.

I have fitted a Continental timing belt kit to the Senior Managements 52 plate 2.0 Scenic and thats now done around 8,000 miles IIRC and had no problems.

Last week I fitted an optibelt ZRK timing belt supplied by FEBI Bilstein to a 2.0 F4R Scenic. It's been okay though I have only driven the car a few miles and will be selling it on once I get the car MOT’d. I couldn't belive how incredibly lucky I had been. One of the old rollers had actually split through! :eek: The car was on it’s second timing belt and had done 60,000 since it had been changed 7 years ago. I don’t know the belt manufacture as all markings had worn away.

I fitted a Gates PowerGrip belt kit to a 2.0 16 Valve Scenic after repairing the engine which had suffered timing belt failure. The people I bought the car off for spares or repairs bought it back off me just after Christmas and I have heard nothing from them. Thought they did ask if I could look at the car again before it’s due it’s MOT in August.

I have just bought a brand new Renault timing belt for a 2.0 F4R on the actual belt itself it has Renault logos and part numbers on it. As well as “Gates” & “ PowerGrip”. I know Gates are also OEM for Vauxhall too.

I also have a brand new SKF belt and water pump kit for the 1.4 K4J & 1.6 K4M 16 valve engines and the timing belt with that is also made by Gates

I have been told that there are only 3 or 4 factories globally that actually manufacture timing belts but how true that is I don’t know?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, that's made me feel better. if they are OEM then fine, just thought I'd been ripped off.

Heres a question.

Does the engine /belt stop in the same place each time?

I ask because I tried to see what was printed on the belt when they first put it on. Every time I stopped it, nothing showed. After it went back in to be checked, I now notice that I can see the logos on it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO most modern timing belts are pretty much of a muchness these days.

The engine won’t always stop exactly in the same place every time depending on when the engine is turned off.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RS.

Good pix on your other post too, good to see what it all looks like with the covers off. Oo err. :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi ourcar,

Nothing wrong with Dayco Belts there a good brand, i use that make along with a Gates belt...the Dayco is fitted on my Fiat along with pulleys and tensioner and the same again with a Gates belt on my Espace,

Cheers Don

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers Don. It's just that I was miffed at being told I was having genuine Renault parts fitted, after checking with them twice. They even said it wasn't worth fitting other brands as the price was no different.

If Renault are supplied by Dayco, then OK, but to me it sounded like say, Kwik Fit telling me they are fitting Continental and then fitting a cheap xx brand of tyre as it is made by Continental, when in fact all Continental had was a very small input into the design.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
cheers Don. It's just that I was miffed at being told I was having genuine Renault parts fitted, after checking with them twice. They even said it wasn't worth fitting other brands as the price was no different.

If Renault are supplied by Dayco, then OK, but to me it sounded like say, Kwik Fit telling me they are fitting Continental and then fitting a cheap xx brand of tyre as it is made by Continental, when in fact all Continental had was a very small input into the design.
Hi ourcar,

I do understand where your coming from but i wouldn't worry about it to much to be honest as its good brand,

The way i look at it? just because its a Renault part thats fitted doesn't mean to say its better than other market brands that are out there,its already been said that Renault will not just use the best maker of parts they will also take into account the lowest cost for making there parts to stay competitive in the market place but i can assure you that Dayco is a good well known brand and Ive yet to have problem with any of there parts Ive used,

Cheers Don

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure it's fine, but as the car is not sounding right and is running bad since the belt change, I suppose I've put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5. :idunno:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
I'm sure it's fine, but as the car is not sounding right and is running bad since the belt change, I suppose I've put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5. :idunno:

Could it have been fitted incorrectly??

The bottom line is though... belts or even belt kits even dealer parts as well as OEM parts as iam sure you are aware? can fail prematurely:crazy: i wish i could help you more,

Please keep us updated,

All the best Don

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incorrect fitting or timing alignment was my thoughts, so i took it back last week. They said the did a cover off check and rechecked the timing and it was spot on.

BUT, they were having some problem getting the pin in correctly at first and told me that the timing must have skipped a little? Then started going on about how the dephaser works if it has the smallest amount of wear it could be the problem...

Then the original mechanic who did the job jumped up and said it was spot on, he got the pin in now.

Then they announced the dephaser was fine, the belt was fine, the timing was fine.

Took it for a test, driving it rather more spiritedly than I would and did a ECU reset.

See how you get on over the next 200 miles is the advice I was given.

130 mile later, no difference, still noisy at 2500 RPM and still hesitates at junctions and between gears.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Incorrect fitting or timing alignment was my thoughts, so i took it back last week. They said the did a cover off check and rechecked the timing and it was spot on.

BUT, they were having some problem getting the pin in correctly at first and told me that the timing must have skipped a little? Then started going on about how the dephaser works if it has the smallest amount of wear it could be the problem...

Then the original mechanic who did the job jumped up and said it was spot on, he got the pin in now.

Then they announced the dephaser was fine, the belt was fine, the timing was fine.

Took it for a test, driving it rather more spiritedly than I would and did a ECU reset.

See how you get on over the next 200 miles is the advice I was given.

130 mile later, no difference, still noisy at 2500 RPM and still hesitates at junctions and between gears.
I know its easy for me to say...but i would ask them to take another look at it and even remove it all and set the timing again and take it from there,i wouldn't take no for answer:devil:,it was in good working order before hand so it should have been when it was returned...simple as,

Iam sure other members with more macanical experience then me will be along soon to help?

Cheers Don

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would ask them to take another look at it and even remove it all and set the timing again and take it from there
That was the plan and is what they said they did, except they didn't take it all off again, as they said it was spot on.

They mentioned the coils could be playing up, but said there was no way of checking them. It would mean replacing them at £30 each. Doesn't explain the 2500 rpm noise though.

I'll be taking it back once I've done the 200 miles and argue it from there.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Personally if it was my car I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it checked out.
Looks like the garage haven't a baldy notion of what they are doing.
Any decent mechanic can check ignition coils using a simple multimeter by checking the primary and secondary coil resistances. Better still sometimes just inspecting the spark plugs can tell if there's an ignition problem.

If they can't detect if there are faulty coils I wouldn't trust them to to a timing belt change.:)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trouble is how can I tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't?
The days of trusty mechanics who could diagnose problems by experience and *** paper is gone.

I tried to find a reputable Renault garage for weeks before I decided to take it to this lot. They even had a positive review on the net.

I am not in a position to say whether they know what they are doing and going to another garage just racks up the bill even more.

Once I get to the magic 200 miles, let's see what the say then...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
£30 for pencil coils! :eek: I paid £60 ish for 4 last year at my local motor factors and you can get them cheaper than that on Fleabay though the quality might be questionable?

IMO the timing is probably still out albeit very slightly?

I changed a timing belt on 2.0 Scenic recently and had to reset it 3 times!:eek: Before I got it right :think: I checked the timing then ran the engine for a few minutes and when I checked again one of the cam shafts was a few degrees out each time.:confused: It certainly made the engine sound noisyer until I got it right.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi RS

I remember when they took the old belt off they said it was slightly out before, so they corrected it when they put the new belt on. They said the old belt had stretched.

Now the say it's spot on. :idunno:

Using a cam tool and a pin, as they say they did, how does it get to be a few degrees out. I thought once it was set, it was set.:confused:

How is it checked and what noise did your engine make?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a VVT engine, I thought the DP was only set when it was a new one.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts