Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Captur tce 120 edc , 2010 Lancer VIII 1.8 143 hp
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents,

From a week, when I start the car ( only during cold starts) the it starts but it feels like something is wrong when it is starting, when it turns the engine kind of coughs as if it starts and loses power for a sec and starts again and then everything is cool. On the dash some red warning flash es but disappears quickly. Connected it with one but no codes.

Battery is 2 months old, mileage is 95k km 60k miles

Apart from the start Alll is good, consumption also has not changed. Where to look at? Glow plugs?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,442 Posts
I would check the glow plugs because if its cold and they are not working you would get symptoms like you are getting

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, booked it for saturday, the mechanic I spoke later today also told me that glow plugs might be a strong possibility

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had compression and injector tests which were alright, one glow was not in good condition while others were okay, Had them changed.

The mechanic said that the problem is with the glow plug relay, it gives short signal when you turn the key ( around a sec) while it should give longer signal, will have it replaced during next oil change in 2 months.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,442 Posts
Had compression and injector tests which were alright, one glow was not in good condition while others were okay, Had them changed.

The mechanic said that the problem is with the glow plug relay, it gives short signal when you turn the key ( around a sec) while it should give longer signal, will have it replaced during next oil change in 2 months.
As long as you can suffer cough on start

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi Istabullu. Have you sorted out the problem of your Renault vehicle yet? I live in Istanbul as well. It seems almost impossible to find technically oriented people to find around. Being an aircraft engieer, over the years I have gathered a lot of tech knowledge based experience working on my own car and I would like to share tech ideas free of charge with those who might be in need of such info, simply because Renault services and mechanics are hate to share detailed tech info with people who wish to work on their own cars.
So, let's share info and try to get as many like minded people around us as possible to help each other.
Renault 1.5 dci is a great engine with unrivaled fuel and spare parts economy, provided if you can do your work yourself.
In case you wish to contact with me by phone or by whatsapp my number is 505 576 5080. My name is Feza.
Best regards and hope to hear from you soon my local mate Istanbullu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
By the way, the fuel atomisation of the dci common rail injectors and the diesel compression temperatures even during stater cranking are so sufficient that even all 4 dead glow plugs wouldn't cause a no start condition on any dci common rail engine, as long as the ambient temperasure don't fall below -10, -15 degrees C.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as you can suffer cough on start
It's a scary thought when you turn the key and there s a possibility that it won't start :) we see now minus degrees in the mornings 0 to -10 celsius.

the oil change is due in 2000 kms, I believe it LL be done in a month. Bought all filters and oil and will order the relay this week.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Istabullu. Have you sorted out the problem of your Renault vehicle yet? I live in Istanbul as well. It seems almost impossible to find technically oriented people to find around. Being an aircraft engieer, over the years I have gathered a lot of tech knowledge based experience working on my own car and I would like to share tech ideas free of charge with those who might be in need of such info, simply because Renault services and mechanics are hate to share detailed tech info with people who wish to work on their own cars.
So, let's share info and try to get as many like minded people around us as possible to help each other.
Renault 1.5 dci is a great engine with unrivaled fuel and spare parts economy, provided if you can do your work yourself.
In case you wish to contact with me by phone or by whatsapp my number is 505 576 5080. My name is Feza.
Best regards and hope to hear from you soon my local mate Istanbullu.
Hello, I don't live in Istanbul actually but was born and lived there for 20 years and some years in Aegea region.i just visit Istanbul once a year, been living in Europe for 8-9 years.

After new glow plugs the start is better but the cough continues. Will change the relay next month and see if all goes well after that.

I am happy with the fuel economy - the engine performance and cheap parts and so on however, the overall quality of the car is only so - so. Especially interior quality is really bad. For instance, many trim sounds inside, door hinges are prone to fail, seat covers are of terrible quality, list goes on and on.. megane 3 seems to have better quality however most of which I had found - did a lot of miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts