Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having intermittent fuel problems on my sons Dci 65 yellow warning light comes on car runs rough and or lack of power , handbook says water in fuel . cleared the problem by flushing through filter . eventually light went out car back to normal. week or so ago did it again so changed fuel filter and once it got going again fine . week later light back on drained filter (no water still) but once system bled light out and normal power .

Now then, car has always had uneven "hunting" idle and has always had a bit of air zipping about in the low pressure lines . Particularly concerned by globs of air going from Fuel injector pump to filter in the return line, indicates to me that it must be sucking air into the pump . would a new pipe cure the air and my problem ?

Trawling the net there are various theories on air in the low pressure system , one suggestion was a blocked strainer in the fuel pump under the back seat.

all ideas most welcome

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The water in fuel warning light doubles as an injection fault warning. Did you find any contamination in the filter such as water or metal particles?

It is possible air is getting into the system as you suspect. Check all fuel lines for signs of damage and ensure connections are secure. If you suspect some of the connectors especialy thise on the return lines from the injectors try smearing each connection with some thick grease - this acts as a tempory seal. And although not a permanent fix it may help you trace the source.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water in fuel warning light doubles as an injection fault warning. Did you find any contamination in the filter such as water or metal particles?

It is possible air is getting into the system as you suspect. Check all fuel lines for signs of damage and ensure connections are secure. If you suspect some of the connectors especialy thise on the return lines from the injectors try smearing each connection with some thick grease - this acts as a tempory seal. And although not a permanent fix it may help you trace the source.:)
I suspect the push on union entering the injection pump, so may be an idea to put some vaseline or grease on that union to see if the air globs stop coming back out the return and if the engine will stop hunting, .

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having intermittent fuel problems on my sons Dci 65 yellow warning light comes on car runs rough and or lack of power , handbook says water in fuel . cleared the problem by flushing through filter . eventually light went out car back to normal. week or so ago did it again so changed fuel filter and once it got going again fine . week later light back on drained filter (no water still) but once system bled light out and normal power .

Now then, car has always had uneven "hunting" idle and has always had a bit of air zipping about in the low pressure lines . Particularly concerned by globs of air going from Fuel injector pump to filter in the return line, indicates to me that it must be sucking air into the pump . would a new pipe cure the air and my problem ?

Trawling the net there are various theories on air in the low pressure system , one suggestion was a blocked strainer in the fuel pump under the back seat.

all ideas most welcome
Beware cheap fuel filters ,the proper ones have a bi metal strip that works on fuel temp then shuts off the direct return to the pump and opens the return to the tank where the air is dispelled .
The proper filter rattles when you shake it the cheap ones dont ,hope it helps you /UK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts