Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 51 Megane Coupe. Just tried to use the A/C for the first time and it seems to be dead.

Checked the gas pressure which was completey empty(!), filled it up but still no joy.

When the engine is idle and I switch on the A/C the engine revs increase slightly but there is no difference. The red indicator above the A/C button does at least come on when pressed.

Any ideas? Bust compressor perhaps?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it'a a common mistake to fill AC system by measuring pressure instead of grams of coolant.
The way you describe it - sounds like a leak.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh you got it in one - their kit is only a top-up and will barely be able to reach the correct pressures for the system to operate correctly. Some of the Kwik-fit centres are doing a regas deal at the moment - no fix no charge - if it fixes it they cahrge £45-50 quid. The system must be pressurised correctly otherwise the compressor clutch won't engage.
Caveat Emptor (buyer beware):)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
See you point demon - yeh the system has to have the correct amount in the system and only proper air-con repair/service equipment can do that accurately - therefore it has to empty the system first before a refill. If the compressor can't detect sufficient gas it can't pressurise it and the clutch is pressure sensitive.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did suspect the diy-kit....

However, according the pressure gauge supplied with the kit, the correct pressure has now been attained.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts