Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week and a half ago mice attacked our Scenic 3. The only damage was an inch of the brake fluid sensor wire they ate. Other then that, much worse was the awful stench and them dying all over the car for some reason.
Found two dead in the engine bay and had the car dry cleaned.

And today I used a borescope and found one more carcas under the plate that has the rear seats on it.

I saw it through the hole the seat spring stands on.

It started decomposing so I have to get it put immediately, I'm supposed to bring two newborns home from a hospital in a few weeks.

Does anyone know how to take the plate out? The car is currently in a garage for a clutch/DMF replacement so I'd like it to all be sone while its still there.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,078 Posts
You need to mark what plate you mean.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This ok? It's the very plate the rear seats sit on. There's a blank space under it. I mean, I can take out anything necessary just to be able to reach the carcas, every idea is welcome. Just need to know what and how.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,078 Posts
Will try and reply tonight.
If NOT will reply tomorrow after work
No info on this laptop to help you

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries mate, I won't be at the garage till 2-3 pm anyway. Thanks, whatever you find would be of great help.
I had a though I might remove the tray below the left rear seat and try and reach it through there, but even if I do reach it, I'm not sure if I'd manage to disinfect the spot properly that way. (from what I saw on borescope, the bugger started leaking already).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, another piece of info I could use, does anyone know of a flap or an openning that might have let it inside the cabin. Let's assume I didn't let it in myself by accident. We checked the entire car from underneath but couldn't find an openning. My cabin air filter is clean and intact so I hope they didn't nest or go through there. And where is the ventilation air intake on this car? The gearbox and half the engine peripherals are out but we're starting to feel a bit stupid missing such a basic part.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
what people dont realise there are vents in rear quarter panels under the bumper cover skin to allow air out off car (well in my mk.2 grand scenic) these IIRC have simple plastic/rubber flaps and are approx the size of a paracetamol box, so mice could easily enter car here - tbh a mouse can squeeze a very small opening - so could get in at several other points.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,514 Posts
Can't help with getting that panel off.
If you can get a boroscope in, can you get a wire in and hook the bu55er ?
One of those garden sprays with a hose on the end could pump in disinfectant as well ?

Why they invade is anyone's guess.
Nesting or food usually.
I know with caravans, leaving a bar of soap in the van was an almost certain guarantee of mice invading.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were looking for the air flaps but couldn't find them.
Update to the situation, the mouse under the panel wasm't a mouse. It was most probably a beginning of a nest they started to build. Bad thing is we cannot identify the source of the nest (grey and red threads) and I don't know if it's active or they've abandoned it.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
21,871 Posts
Quick way is to gas the buggers! , pipe from the exhaust to inside fill it with exhaust. fumes, Viola! gone.
Only problem if any dead is finding them!.
Good luck 👍 Oh don't forget to fumigate after!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't really wanna kill them all over the car, not finding one would result in more stench. I've never really experienced such a mouse smell, but it's definitely something that lingers in your nose for some time after you're away from it.

I checked our other car too and sure enough they were running around the engine. I haven't found a nest, or a foul smell, but they did chomp on one of spark plug cables. Fortunately, they went for the grommet which is really thick, so no damage done.

I'd like to prevent them from climbing. I saw there's a product called RatMat available in UK, but from what I found only one company sells it and they sell ot only to professionals. Since this is a UK forum, does anyone know more about it?

·
22,514 Posts
Hmmmm, electrified floor panels ?
Eeek!
Sorry but absolutely no experience with these, interesting concept, no idea of cost but possibly eye watering, no idea if it would work.
Obviously traps and poisons are readily available.
Other repellents such as ultrasonics may work but I have seen mixed reports on them.
Pepper dust or chilli sprays ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying things one by one, but I feel time's running out. Meanning, there's so much evidence of them climbing up, they are bound to cause a big problem sooner or later.

E.g. I sprayed the engine of our hyundai with vermin repellant yesterday, put toilet fresheners inside the engine bay (apparently they hate that), put glue with bait around tires and put a bucket type trap with loads of bait 2 m away from the car. And this morning I found a single piece of dropping under the hood. Just one, but it means a mouse was there and that there's probably more I can't see.

I'm thinking about putting solar yard lighting around the cars, maybe also putting some small LED lights on the wheels and inside the engine compartment, I thought about making small glass fences for each wheel (hoping they wouldn't be able to climb glass and that they can't jump high enough to reach the car that way).

I forgot to mention we live next to a corn filed, but cars have been parked here for almost 30 years and none had mice problem until this year.

We are planning to move away soon so building a garage was not in our plans. Now, I have no idea. It might be a big expense, but might end up costing less than potential damages. But again, a garage is not a bulletproof solution either. Maybe we should start riding bycicles.

·
22,514 Posts
Park the cars elsewhere ?
They seem to be finding them attractive and know the way to them, scent trails, whatever.
Seems to me that if you parked them elsewhere for a while, it could break the cycle.
I'd also be using a strong disinfectant and whatever repellent is being touted on the wheels... similar logic.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Does your local authority have a pest control section? I had problems with mice in a new build house about 10 years back and called them in for advice. Two interesting facts I remember - a mouse can get in a hole the diameter of a ball point pen, and they like the taste of plastic water pipes. They certainly munched them in our house!

From memory we just set traps though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I found another nest and whole lotta mess, which smells awfully, over all the scents of drycleaning. I have some pictures and we're back to my original question - can I and how get to this?

So here is the upholstery under the rear seats. Under that first panel I can see another one. This other(lower) panel is full of mouse droppings and urine. Need to clean that.

When I move aside the upholstery there is some insulating fabric (grey in the image above) and plastic covers. When I move all that aside I can see a new hole in the lower panel

1 is hole in upper panel, 2 in lower pannel. Under the hole in pannel 2 I can see the 3rd panel (I presume this is the shell of the car) and here is the nest.

I don't know which bolt this is.

Now to repeat - is there a way to get to that and how to disassemble everything?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
the black panel will undolt but the other body colour is part of shell and you can see the spot welds - so no, the body coloured shell part is permanently fixed in place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, but I also saw some bolts, so I was hoping it can all be taken out. So this car body has 3 bottom layers?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
most probably subframe fixing bolts, only other things you can easily remove are wheel arch liners at rear to check

1 - 20 of 132 Posts