Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be just a little general ranting about a few car things.

I currently live in Italy and have just bought a 1997 1.2 clio. second hand from a very large flashy audi / VW garage over here. Normally I would never toucha second hand car from any garage but here in Italy the second hand market is very different from back home.

Anyway, bought the car on condition / promise that it had full service and check over, they sent it to the affiliated official Renault garage next door and I have seen the copy of the invoice for "work" they have done.
Please keep in mind that this is big flashy modern garage set up, so the paperwork says they checked brakes !!!.

Lucky I am pretty handy with cars and spanners, last car back in UK last year was 1964 Triumph Herald which I wish I still had as sooooo easy to work on, only one fuse for whole car. So I checked the clio over after buying it hoping as flashy garage etc. to find no probs.

BOTH front brake hoses both sides have large splits all the way to the centre core !!!!!!. Pretty basic check stuff to miss I think. Any way the garage now say nothing to do with them and Renault here want 125 Euros, about £85 to change them both. 60 euros for the hoses plus labour.

Now the good news, from a local auto factors I have just bought new hoses for 10 euros for both !!!!, ( about £6.50)I think that beats UK prices, should only take an hour this weekend to change.

Apart from the above, to many electrical things in a small car and no work space around the engine to do anything without 1 hour taking ancilliary this and that out of the way I think she's a good one. Oh, I almost forgot about the driving position and the need to be the shape of a baboon to be comfy in these older french cars, lucky I am a bit of a monkey shape already from working in the engine bay ( also wrong word for it should really be engine shoe box.)

Sorry for length of this but it is good to be able to speak English once in a while.

In summary, never put your life in their hands, only if it's your doctor but I would still get a second opinion.

Stay safe

Steve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Triumph Bonneville " brought" me here, Hampshire to near Genova in one day of almost non stop riding. My bike is a 2004 model, as much as I would love a 1968 Bonneville I certainly would not have fancied riding that all the way here.

In answer to your real question i think my motto is very similar to Superbiatch's signature and the fact I married an Italian girl. i would only change the chardonnay for a local Dolcetto from this wonderful Piemonte region, and incredibly cheap here that we drink it for breakfast, dinner and tea !. Highly recommended. Go ask you local wine merchant for Dolcetto from Piemonte, north Italy. While on the wine subject i will also recommend asking for any white wines from Gavi here in Piemonte, very refreshing on hot sunny days.

On the take the garage to court front, in theory I could but here in Italy it would cost far more, take years and they would probably still get it wrong, I think customer service here is virtually non existent after you walk out the door. I'm happy it will only cost 10 euros and a bit of DOT4 this weekend and Then I can drive safely in the knowledge that it has been done well.

thanks for listening

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
In answer to your real question i think my motto is very similar to Superbiatch's signature and the fact I married an Italian girl. i would only change the chardonnay for a local Dolcetto from this wonderful Piemonte region, and incredibly cheap here that we drink it for breakfast, dinner and tea !. Highly recommended. Go ask you local wine merchant for Dolcetto from Piemonte, north Italy. While on the wine subject i will also recommend asking for any white wines from Gavi here in Piemonte, very refreshing on hot sunny days.
I quite like a nice barolo myself, but i'm willing to try anything new ;)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello Steve,

I don't suppose you know of anyone in Italy who has a good passenger side door for a Fiat X1/9,do you?:rofl:

Are there any real drawbacks to moving to Italy.....your life sounds pretty good to me!.Is it easy to get residency?If so,I'm on my way!:d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update.

Brake hoses changed and bled all in under 60 mins.

My advice to anyone who feels competent enough to do this is do yourself a favour and buy a proper brake union spanner, it will save you a lot of grief. Also to stop the brake fluid leaking out whilst open system, before you start turn engine off, pump brake pedal a few times and then jam brake pedal down only a few inches with block of wood, I use an adjustable hiking stick. This will close brake fluid reservoir system and hardly any oil will drain out of pipe whilst disconnected. Also you should do yourself a favour whilst bleeding the system and bleed all the system to change the oil at all four corners, I believe that this is one of the most under estimated maintenance features that should be carried out fairly regularly but never is, even by main garages. Whenever I buy a second hand car i always change the brake fluid.

This work is not too difficult but please only attempt it if you are competent and sure you know what you are doing, remember that along with tyres your life ( and others )will depend on the standand of the job.

Safe motoring out there.
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts