Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own my first Renault (05 plate Laguna Expression 2l 16v) and have been more than a littel disturbed after my first visit to the local dealership.....see other thread: http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107594

In your experiences is it best to go to an independant garage or keep it Renault by going to a Renault dealer for repairs? £700 to repair an alleged slipping clutch seems a tad harsh!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
For me it will always be a good independant that I trust. The independant that I use I have ben going to for years and years and trust them completely with my car. An independant garage will be a damn sight cheaper too.

I have taken the Renault Laguna II that I used to own to a dealer for some work before, but that was just because my independant didnt have CLIP (renaults diagnostic system) at their garage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was warned about the diagnostic system and the fact you seem to be left with little alternative but to use their dealerships for certain fixes.

Will this be the case for my clutch problem do you think, and are independants 'allowed' to purchase CLIP?

I used to own a Moggi Minor and I could fix that damn thing with a hammer and a spray of WD-40!!!

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
There are garages out there with CLIP, but is pretty expensive (for a proper legal system), so dont expect all independants to have it.

For a clutch problem I dont that a diagnostic computer would help tbh, that needs good old fashioned know how, which independants have in buckets over a dealership.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
My cars have only been to dealerships whilst under warranty, that way they can't wriggle out of any potential claims, stating that servicing or repairs weren't done to their specification or using the correct parts.

The minute they are out of warranty its down to same independant where I've known the owner for at least twenty years.

Save pots of money and I know he'll do a better job.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Depends on the vehicle imo.

The merc goes to the main dealer - to preserve its resale value.

The remaining cars & the van get done by myself, as they are much simpler under the bonnet, and a main dealer wouldn't know what to do with a car which is older than most of their 'technicians'...:d

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts