Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi sorry if i have placed in the wrong space but i am new to this,i have a renault scenic rx4 privalige 2001 model with 86000 miles on clock,my car has sounds like a disel once it reaches the half way point of the heating qiuet on start up been going on for 6 months now,just been toldthat it is the dephaser pully and it is gonna cost 500 ,struggling with this as mum of twins my question is i had the cam belt .timming belt and the tappits all replaced but they are saying i will have to have the cam belt done again as the dephaser pully needs doing?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The pulley it's self is £140+vat from Renault,the timing belt will have to come off to replace it so it does need to be changed again as once they are tensioned it is not advisable to use them again.

Did they replace the tappets to try and cure the noise the first time?.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pulley it's self is £140+vat from Renault,the timing belt will have to come off to replace it so it does need to be changed again as once they are tensioned it is not advisable to use them again.

Did they replace the tappets to try and cure the noise the first time?.
thanks for response lagdti yeah i said above they did just spelt it wrong opps ,just it all costing so much i am trying to research to get cheaper but looks like this is as good as it gets,after browsing site i see a lot of people with same problem shame they should recall really x

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If they replaced the tappets to try and cure the noise then they,

A,need to learn a bit about these engines as the dephaser pulley is a very common fault on the F4R engine.

B,not charge you for replacing the tappets as it was a waste of time as it didn't cure the problem.

As for the price,the pulleys are only available from Renault,believe me I have tried to find them elsewhere!.Theres no point in trying a second hand unit as the replacement will probably be fubar'd too.

R

·
0 Posts
Today I have decommissioned a second dephaser on a Scenic F4R engine. Even though the car sounded like a diesel there wasn’t a lot of visible wear inside the unit.

I have read of some one doing 30,000 miles with a noisy dephaser with apparently no long term ill effect to the engine?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
One common thing that is becoming evident is that the dephasers seem to fail soon after a timing belt has been replaced for whatever reason.
My Espace was fitted with a new timing belt a few days before I purchased it and very soon afterwards the dephaser started clattering away.

Fortunately the dealer repaired the car which included having a new timing belt put on and met a good proportion of the costs.

I understand Renault were assisting in the repair costs under certian circumstances.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I have decommissioned a second dephaser on a Scenic F4R engine. Even though the car sounded like a diesel there wasn’t a lot of visible wear inside the unit.

I have read of some one doing 30,000 miles with a noisy dephaser with apparently no long term ill effect to the engine?
thanks for response i have had this problem for 8 months now and i have done some milage to no problem with car just it sounds awful like a bus but drives great very strange

R

·
0 Posts
thanks for response i have had this problem for 8 months now and i have done some milage to no problem with car just it sounds awful like a bus but drives great very strange

IMO I think it sounds worse than it actually is

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
When I asked mechanic if any problems would be caused by a faulty dephaser was initially told that cars run for years clattering away.
After a few months I noticed the engine would quieten at certain engine speeds which caused me to think timing. I hadn't at that stage joined this forum nor searched on any computer for advice.
I asked the mechanic again what damage would be caused by the timing being out, if that was what the dephaser controlled and he shrugged hi s shoulders - thats when I pushed for the repair to be carried out.

R

·
0 Posts
I think it depends on the style on dephaser fitted. I have seen photos of a 1.6 K4M dephaser which only had 4 chambers and there was swarf in the chambers.

The F4R engine subject of this thread will have one that has 8 chambers like the one in the photo.

There is a locking pin which holds the centre and outer parts of the dephaser locked together which is why on start up the dephaser is quiet.

The dephaser advances the timing it as it's locked in the position in the photo. When the locking pin releases the oil that is fed from the dephaser solenoid acts on the vanes and pushes the centre of the pulley clockwise which advances the inlet cam shaft timing.

[FONT=&quot]The movement is just under 6mm. In the photo I have inserted pins into the chambers which where a tight knock in fit at Ø[/FONT][FONT=&quot]5.95mm which has stopped all movement and all the rattling.:d

[/FONT]

R

·
0 Posts
Recycled Scenic, are these components repairable to some extent then?
There are a lot of individual moving parts inside I suppose if all the vanes where changed for tighter fitting ones that might stop some of the excessive movement? But unless of course you have the facilities to be able to mess around and sort it out yourself and be able to grind each vane to the correct thickness I would think the cost of paying some one to repair a dephaser pulley is likely to work out significantly higher than the cost of getting the dephaser pulley changed for a new one.

All I have done is to insert pins into the chambers in front of the vanes so the dephaser pulley is permanently left in it’s locked position. I can’t say that I’ve really noticed any difference in the cars performance other than it’s now lovely and quiet.

From what I have read It seems your are right that a lot of these pulleys very often get noisy shortly after having a cam belt changed? I wonder if that’s the different tension of a new belt disturbing the normal resting place of internal parts that worn together over 1000’s of miles and several years?

Even with a pulley in your hand it’s not always easy to detect movement in the mechanism. The 2 pulleys I have deactivated both sounded equally as bad when running on the car yet one of them had only a very small amount of movement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts