Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just replaced a cylinder head on an f4r engine now starts and runs badly how do you time the inlet dephaser pulley .ive set mine so that the renault logo is at the top straight (horizontal) ive locked the crank and put a bar across the cam slots .help:confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
As long as the dephaser is OK it should be locked when you fit it to the cam,so when you time up the cams with the bar all should be well.With the cams locked and the belt off,can you move the dephaser pulley fowards or back at all?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi , what do you mean by it being locked when fitted to cam,dnt think it moves in and out when bolted to cam had belt of 5 times now .what position should the delphaser be in.in relation to head ie where should the renault logo be, thanks for any help in advance stevie

R

·
0 Posts
Have you removed the dephaser pulley from the inlet cam shaft? It doesn't matter where relationship of the logos are to anything really. Like Lagdti says as long as you have locked the cams together in the setting position all should be okay assuming there is no excessive belt slack between the cam pulleys.

If the dephaser pulley is working correctly it the internal mechanism should be locked so there is no movement in one direction or the other. It's only after the engine is running should the dephaser unlock and allow the inlet cam shaft to advance the inlet timing.

You are using a cam shaft locking tool? in the timing slots in the ends of the cam shafts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes im using a locking bar on the back of cams and locking crank with pin the cars holding bak and barely pulling like the timing was out or air getting in inlet manifold i do hear the exaust blowing from back of head. so the dephauser pulley can go in any position iv ming set with the renault logo at top in the horizotal position .is this ok with cams locked and pin set in crank. im now wondering if its an air leak causing the poor running (really bad) many thanks stevie

R

·
0 Posts
How did you retighten the cam shaft sprockets on to the cam shafts? As you need to use another tool to stop them moving when you tighten them back up.

If you had an air leak into the inlet manifold the engine would have a really high tick over

An air leak in the exhaust manifold could be affecting the O2 sensor and therefore the performance?

I have removed the timing pulleys on several F4R engines and never bothered about orientating the pulleys when putting them back. Though I have had problems getting the timing right on 1 of them as the dephaser pulley was worn and not locked properly which meant I kept chasing my tail round getting the timing right. The engine sounded absolutely awful just like a diesel.

Engine in the photo is set to TDC without the sprockets set in any particular place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts