Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this, but hope someone can help, my mum who is quite old and drives a Renault Clio automatic M reg has had problems for the last 6 months with the battery going flat. We have bought two new ones and they just go flat. We have called the breakdown service out twice and on both occasions they have said that the battery is not big enough its a 12v and should be a 14v. I have looked on the internet and rhey don't make 14v car batteries so what are they talking about. Please can someone advise us.

Fed up and desperate

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Filigree.

I'm sure someone will advise you on your post shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

There is no such thing as a 14 volt car battery!.A standard battery is 12 volts and is charged to around 14 volts by the alternator when the engine is running.

You need to check to see if there is a drain on the battery.Do you have a multimeter?.

Also,what make of battery are you using?.The cheap ones can give problems......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply, I didnt think a 14v battery was possible but that was what the man said twice. I'm not sure what make the battery is we got them from ATS, the first one I took back because I thought it was faulty and they replaced it, but now the car won't start again and the battery has only been on for just over a month so it has to be something else. I can get someone to check it with a meter or get a garage to pick it up.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
You need to find an auto electrician who will test to find out how much electricity is being drained from the battery when the engine is switched off. Maybe the immobiliser is faulty, maybe the alternator diodes have blown....but you need an expert in auto electrics to look into this problem. If you are in the GU postcode area, I can recommend the place that I use

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Yup, defo' sounds like a drain from a short somewhere. Auto electrician is the only way to go.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
You have the same Clio as me I think, the 1.4RT. I had a few problems last year with the battery going flat quick but after cleaning the earth straps it behaved itself. However I am now finding alternator issues (battery light on while driving) and believe it's down to the alternator brushes, are you having these symptoms or just flat battery when go to use it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not quite so desperate

Thanks all for your replies and advise, I have an auto electrician coming out tomorrow to have a look for me, I think it's the alternator not charging but we will see.
I will let you know what he finds.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, this may sound quite obvious and I'm sure you've probably checked this - but there isn't a light (in the boot for example) which is staying on and draining the battery?

My leaning is towards something (short-circuit, etc) draining the battery rather than the alternator not charging it sufficiently - you'd get a battery light showing whilst driving, for example, if that was the case. Plus, I would doubt if a battery would last a month without being fully discharged, if it wasn't being topped-up by the alternator.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, it must be quite upsetting for your Mum.

Paul:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts