Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i desperately need information regarding my renault laguna ´95. It has a manual gearbox, wich is leaking oil. I am in a foreign country at the moment and the oil level has been getting really low, as the gearbox already started making noises. I don´t have the haynes manual and anyone who´d know about this car. I need to know, does this car have a transmission fluid dipstick under the hood, or do i have to get under the car to add transmission oil? If there was a dipstick, i could pour the oil in from there. If it doesn´t have a dipstick, then it is really bad for me, as i am in a foreign country, with limited resources currently, so i cannot go to a repair shop or a garage. Please help!

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Looking from the radiator side (the front of the gearbox), about halfway up on the gearbox casing, there is a plug, usually a plastic winged plug (on older models its a steelplug with a square hole or a 24mm hex), remove the plug fill with sae80w90 or similar gear oil untill it comes out of the filler hole

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
As PPear says, it'll be a plastic 'wingnut' sort of plug, though sometimes one or both 'ears' will have been broken off by hamfisted mechanics.

The correct oil grade is 75w80 GL5-spec - though anything will be better than nowt :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your quick replies guys. Found the plug, which was in mint condition. As i haven´t got an oil press, i had to use a fanta bottle and a hose. Left it under the hood to drip in. It will take ages, but its the only option i´ve got at the moment. Again, thank you!:)

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
fanta bottle and a hose. Left it under the hood to drip in. It will take ages, but its the only option i´ve got at the moment. Again, thank you!:)
Thats the way most of do it I think.
Glad you got it sorted!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Just keep filling the gearbox until it drips back out again. As soon as you get home get the leak diagnosed and repaired. Gearboxes are not cheap and this one will soon turn to scrap metal if left with no oil even for a small distance.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Just keep filling the gearbox until it drips back out again. As soon as you get home get the leak diagnosed and repaired. Gearboxes are not cheap and this one will soon turn to scrap metal if left with no oil even for a small distance.
Just for interest 80w90 is recommended for hot climates

1 - 8 of 8 Posts