Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is coming up on time to change my automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

I was wondering has anyone here ever changed their ATF for a higher spec than the minimum recommended for their car?

Have you noticed any improvement in the running of the transmission and/or better economy?

My Safrane has Dex IIE written on the dipstick, but I have been reliably informed that the higher Dexron's are fully backwards compatible and "are higher spec".

My transmission has 150,000 miles on it now so I don't mind spending more to help prevent possible issues later.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Not tried it myself but when i last stocked up on Dex2 i was told i could use Dex3 and the half*rds catalogue thing also said Dex3 could be used for the safrane iirc. I didn't bother i just went for the dex2 in the end as the manual and dipstick suggest. I didn't have a clue how much it would take so cleared the shelf of 11 bottles (1L each) only to find out that the box takes about 3.5 max - whoops.

Not sure about the 2L but with the 2.5 you can't simultaneously pump out/in with the engine running via the transcooler pipes. You literally have to empty it like the engine sump - undo the sump at the bottom, drain it out and pour in the new via the dipstick (be sure to measure what you get out from it so you know what to put in). Only downside is you can't really flush it like this so you might want to run it for a week and then change it again for another fresh lot.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not tried it myself but when i last stocked up on Dex2 i was told i could use Dex3 and the half*rds catalogue thing also said Dex3 could be used for the safrane iirc. I didn't bother i just went for the dex2 in the end as the manual and dipstick suggest. I didn't have a clue how much it would take so cleared the shelf of 11 bottles (1L each) only to find out that the box takes about 3.5 max - whoops.

Not sure about the 2L but with the 2.5 you can't simultaneously pump out/in with the engine running via the transcooler pipes. You literally have to empty it like the engine sump - undo the sump at the bottom, drain it out and pour in the new via the dipstick (be sure to measure what you get out from it so you know what to put in). Only downside is you can't really flush it like this so you might want to run it for a week and then change it again for another fresh lot.
Your car should take 5.9 litres, if you have the SU06 gearbox like me.

Each Dexron is a higher spec than the one before and according to reports you will have less clunking, less slippage, better heat dissipation and better fuel economy. The ATF is much higher viscosity, too, across the temperature spectrum, which means durable lubrication.

Naturally Dexron III is better than DexII, just like DexronVI is better than both of the above and any higher Dex can safely be used in lower recommendations by manufacturers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts