Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be the appropriate time to mention this. I read somewhere recently about people wanting a bit of heat in Thier Vans for use when the night's turn cooler and someone said scrapyard did you know that most British Gas vans have diesel air heaters fitted and are scraped with them still fitted? Average price scrapyards sell them for is £40 we're talking quality German air heaters here not the less reliable (mainly due to the glow plugs) Chinese heaters.

If you're lucky enough to find one don't forget you'll also need the control panel and all the ducting fuel pump etc..

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,246 Posts
If you're lucky enough to find one don't forget you'll also need the control panel and all the ducting fuel pump etc..
That is the one drawback of buying from scrappies no matter how good the quality ..... you have to trust it has been removed carefully and all parts of the system are complete. If you know what you are doing it is ok but for most buying the complete kit although inferior quality is the most straightforward option.
There must be a lot more units being scrapped from buses and HGV's too.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This might be the appropriate time to mention this. I read somewhere recently about people wanting a bit of heat in Thier Vans for use when the night's turn cooler and someone said scrapyard did you know that most British Gas vans have diesel air heaters fitted and are scraped with them still fitted? Average price scrapyards sell them for is £40 we're talking quality German air heaters here not the less reliable (mainly due to the glow plugs) Chinese heaters.

I took RWs advice bought a Chinese air heater off eBay it's fantastic. Got the new control panel fired up today for the first time no smoke I didn't realize it was on till I saw the guage going up but more about that later I'm off to celebrate!

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the one drawback of buying from scrappies no matter how good the quality ..... you have to trust it has been removed carefully and all parts of the system are complete. If you know what you are doing it is ok but for most buying the complete kit although inferior quality is the most straightforward option.
There must be a lot more units being scrapped from buses and HGV's too.
See my today's post RW. Bought a new one on eBay fired up first time. A word of warning to anyone else bleed the air out of the fuel line first took 50+ minutes to get mine to fire up and that's with the fuel tank less than a meter from the heater.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know these are all self contained and "safe"
But I'd stick a carbon monoxide alarm in the van, just in case.

Welcome back Eddie.
Cheers and yes I'm going to fit a c.m. alarm before it's used. Yesterday was only a test run. I stood more chance of getting hyperthermia than gassed.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not self tappers please.
No where else to put it sensibly ?
I assume from the shape it comes with a bracket ?
It's got a bracket plus a couple of screw bolts been advised by another Bongo owner where others are fixing them which doesn't involve self tapping screws. So self tapping it to the back of the screen wash bottle is out.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,193 Posts
can you move the screen wash bottle and fit the tank to the side of the SW bottle. with the fixing clamp screwed to the body..
It will be an MOT failure ( Dangerous ) if/is cable tied, and not secured, and will invalidate your insurance , should you have an accident..

Worse case scenario, if struggling for room, Secure the fuel tank, now make a bracket that goes around the fuel tank and secure the screen wash bottle to this
Fuel tanks have to be secure, and not able to move,.
Screen wash will not damage the road or cause Another vehicle of any design to lose traction..

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can you move the screen wash bottle and fit the tank to the side of the SW bottle. with the fixing clamp screwed to the body..
It will be an MOT failure ( Dangerous ) if/is cable tied, and not secured, and will invalidate your insurance , should you have an accident..

Worse case scenario, if struggling for room, Secure the fuel tank, now make a bracket that goes around the fuel tank and secure the screen wash bottle to this
Fuel tanks have to be secure, and not able to move,.
Screen wash will not damage the road or cause Another vehicle of any design to lose traction..
I'll have a good look tomorrow weather permitting as there's a named storm heading our way. But thanks for the advice I was just looking at the easy options it'll need a lot more thought

1 - 20 of 34 Posts