Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,221 Posts
No easy options with Fuel Eddie,, Police get really upset over this..
Could even impound your van..

Then the Fire brigade,. They all get involved with A fuel spill..

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks 2012 had a sleep on everything you said and came to the conclusion the best place to store the fuel is where the vehicle manufacturer decided to store it. I'm dropping the idea of the 2.5 Ltr tank and tapping into the vans fuel line with something like this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
in my opinion these diesel heaters from our chinese friends are a accident waiting to happen and i wouldnt fit one. they are too cheap compared to the webasto and erbaspatcher (sp?) genuine items and imho arent made very well. (i sent mine straight back)

youll be in a enclosed area with a item that is probably going to fail whilst you are asleep and as far as i can tell by the quality of the combustion chamber, the default failure mode is going to be fire.

now compare one with the genuine item and its a no brainer, ever with the price difference.

just my 2c....

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
There's a Facebook Forum For them. NOT a member.
From what I gather from my habitation elsewhere.
So far everyone is pleased & reliability is good.
So much so, that owners have been installing "Hive" type controllers.
So in wintry conditions they can turn them on from the house & emerge later to a warm, de-Iced Van.
Just my 2d worth.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,250 Posts
There's a Facebook Forum For them. NOT a member.
From what I gather from my habitation elsewhere.
So far everyone is pleased & reliability is good.
So much so, that owners have been installing "Hive" type controllers.
So in wintry conditions they can turn them on from the house & emerge later to a warm, de-Iced Van.
Just my 2d worth.
Are you referring to any particular brands of heater ?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,250 Posts
Didn't Mrs Bruce buy a chinese heater for her 'Girl Cave' ? Don't think we've heard from her since she installed it. Would be helpful if we have a long term use report having gone through this winter.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
in my opinion these diesel heaters from our chinese friends are a accident waiting to happen and i wouldnt fit one. they are too cheap compared to the webasto and erbaspatcher (sp?) genuine items and imho arent made very well. (i sent mine straight back)

youll be in a enclosed area with a item that is probably going to fail whilst you are asleep and as far as i can tell by the quality of the combustion chamber, the default failure mode is going to be fire.

now compare one with the genuine item and its a no brainer, ever with the price difference.

just my 2c....
Yes you've only got to look at all the problems people list on the dedicated groups on Facebook to realise that there's a great deal of difference between the copy's and the original manufacturer's. I am intending to complete the fit find.out if it's worth if it's worth investigating in the better ones or not I'm also going to turn the heater off before bed time using it for a couple of hours to warm the van and hopefully with good insulation it'll maintain enough heat until I get cosy in a 4 season sleeping bag.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,627 Posts
Didn't Mrs Bruce buy a chinese heater for her 'Girl Cave' ? Don't think we've heard from her since she installed it. Would be helpful if we have a long term use report having gone through this winter.

She did.
IIRC was installing it outside in a purpose build box to protect man cave.

Which would be an option though a clunky one for Eddie.
Make it portable with a connection into the van.
At least if it is outside, many of the safety concerns are reduced.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
She did.
IIRC was installing it outside in a purpose build box to protect man cave.

Which would be an option though a clunky one for Eddie.
Make it portable with a connection into the van.
At least if it is outside, many of the safety concerns are reduced.
Technically with the Mazda bongo it is outside when fitted on top of the chassis in the engine bay where mines at.

I'll add a photo later to show what I mean.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well that's it done had it up and running today cool air intake in the step for the sliding door, hot air blowing into the passenger side footwell fuel pump & fuel line tied down might need a clamp for the exhaust to feel better don't want it dropping down. A jubilee clip to the engine mount should do the trick. I'm not intending using it but it's there if need be. I found a water leak on a connection to the rear heater sort that out tomorrow as rain has stopped play.

Parts on order to get the vans own heater fan working on slower speeds and a bonnet stay (the brush shank almost let me down today)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts