Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the dim and distant past i seem to remember that diesel was always the cheap alternative to petrol. when did this change?

Diesel is always 3-4p more expensive than petrol and sometimes even more. How was this change justified.

Anybody know?

(I'm posting this here as the general thread woujldn't let me start a new thread for some reason.)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
think its somthing to do with the demand for heating oil for central heating etc also used for power stations in the far east so cost is driven up .think our esteemed chancellor also took the small tax break on derv off with the upsurge in popularity of diesel cars towards the end of the nienties .

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The price does go up in winter with demand for heating oil, which is basically the same stuff. Having said that, I think the year round prices of diesel have been higher than standard 95RON unleaded for quite a few years now. I'm not sure when it happened, but I'd hazard a guess at around a decade ago.

Nowadays, the saving over petrol is purely down to better fuel economy. If you look at cost per mile, diesel is still considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, thought as much. Didn't realise heating oil was the same stuff though. Might pop round to my ex'wifes and syphon off a bit from her tank ;)

In terms of economy, my Ford KA managed nearly 50 mpg before it was rudely trashed by a lorry on the A9. Did get a good write off value though. Bought for £4350 two years ago with 7k on the clock. 03 Collection model.

Tesco gave me £4000 write off value and i'd put 20k on the clock by then. To say i was happy with the settlement was an understatement. Still have the small matter of the lost no - claims as the lorry didn't stop. :mad:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The price of fuel is mainly controlled by the amount of duty levied on it. When diesels were very unpopular in the UK - less than 1% of the market (i.e. up to the mid-eighties, non-turbocharged engines), then diesel was cheaper because otherwise nobody would buy a diesel car. It was also cheaper on mainland Europe (true to this day) compared with petrol.
However, since around half of new cars sold today are diesel, then the chancellor has increased the duty to make-up the shortfall caused by the comparative drop in demand for unleaded. The same is pretty much the case for LPG.
None of these fuels are any more expensive to extract or refine since they are produced (either directly or indirectly) by a process known as Catalytic Cracking, whereby long-chain hydrocarbons are heated in the absence of air, and the effulent condenses and channels separate out the gases/vapours, liquids, and gels. Certainly, some additives are used for internal combustion engines, but most of the cost of fuel is due to the government.

Sorry for the lengthy answer.:rolleyes: (I admit it, I was just showing off!:p )

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Just thought I'd add (I didn't have time before.)

I know that winter diesel prices first started to creep past petrol prices in the early 1990s. The reason? I used it as ammunition when my boss wanted to saddle me with a Peugeot 309 diesel in early '93.

Though I'm not sure when the summer prices finally levelled up with, and eventually overtook petrol. He's only just managed to get me into a diesel towards the end of 2005, and the only reason I gave in so easily this time round was because Gordon's made it financially impractical to run a petrol engined company car these days.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
the tax on fuel is 80% which is why our haulage industry cannot compete with foreign hauliers,sorry to here about your mishap on the A9, did the driver know he had caught your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts