Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
As my 1.5Dci Kangoo is still under warranty and will be non-franchised serviced, could anyone tell be which type and make of oil is used by Renault workshops. Service book says ACEA specification must be stated. Anyone know which spec. applies to the Renault oil ?
Thanks everyone.
:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Diesel Engine Oil Spec

Hi William,
Use a good quality engine oil at least the specification as stated by Renault. They normally recommend ELF brand. Just one other aspect concerns me - that is if you have your vehicle serviced by a non-renault garage you may invalidate your warranty -be careful and ask Renault first. If probs arise i nthe future you may be caught betwen a rock and a hard place. Personally I don't believe Renault garages and servicing is all it should be - but even to ensure the anti-rust warranty I believe you car should be examined by a proper franchised Renault agent. I think you'll find this info tucked away in the small-print of thr warranty booklet. What is they say "buyer beware"

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Slight hi jack here, but it might be relevant....

I bought some oil from GSF for my espace. They gave me Quartz 3000 or something, but what was more interesting was that it was apparently suitable for both petrol and turbo diesel engines (fully synthetic I think)...

Is this right? Anybody with experience of this? Are they good / bad for engines?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
EEngine oil for diesels

Generally speaking diesel engines require a a higher spec oil than petrols - if it is a good brand and it says on the tin it's OK for both - it should fine. Most oil manufacturers try to make oils suitable for both as it is cheaper to produce less variations of a product. Most decnet engine oils are ssuitable for both - but its wise to double check. Does it mention the ACEA code on the spec list on the can.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hi william. i drive a 54 kangoo 1.5 dci. great little engine, eh? please change the oil every 9000 miles, not the crazy 18000. look at your oil and cry.
i use a renault filter - oil and air- but use fully syn, 5-40, from halfords(only 'cause they've had half-price offers, so i buy two), as i don't trust the good-for-petrol-and-diesel oil renault sell.
as for warranty, i've just had window rubbers replaced, as they were leaky, and no-one asked to see my service stamps. i was prepared for them to say no. renault services were far, far too expensive, so i decided to risk it, and do it myself.
check my 'for kangoo owners' in general forums. just in case.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Diesel Engine Oil

HI Pizzaman - looks like you got a good deal from Halfords what was the exact spec., (not the 10w-40w bit) of the oil. What was the price - need to get some soon as my diesel Clio is due its annual change. As a matter of interest how many miles are on your wonderful machine.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
you need to check if it says for e.g 'sf or cf'

the 'sf' means spark ignition 'f' grade the higher the order of the letter means a better grade oil eg. 'sh' is better than sf.

Diesel oil says 'cf' which means 'compression ignition' and the same applies about the letter eg 'ch' is better than 'cf'.:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Espaced - your bang on there I know excactly what spec of oil should go in my diesel - I was just wondering if the Halfords stuff would suit - if I knew the CCMC or API code I could determine if it was suitable. Many thanks all the same.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

The specification for Halfords oil is:

API AL CF ACEA A3 B3 B4

I also bought the 5W/40 when on BOGOF - it costs 31.98GBP per 5 litres.

HTH

JohnM

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
:steam: Wow thats dear - it my view its no bargain - I recently bought 5 litres of high spec oil for £12-00. from my local motor factors (yeh and they also made a profit). Looks like they doubled the price and then threw one in free - never seen a retailer sell something at a loss yet. Considering their bulk buying power they've got a nice little earner there.:steam:

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, but the spec is for 5W/40. Even buying Valvoline from local factor puts it at 24.50GBP for four litres - and the 3.0 dCi takes 7.3 litres... and the filter is 37GBP ish plus vat - and try buying that anywhere except Germany or Renault UK!!

You buy your car and take the costs that go with it! :)

JohnM

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi, JohnM5 - still looks expensive to me - I just contacted my local friendly motor factors and they quoted £17-68 (inc., VAT) for 4 litres. I live in Northern Ireland and stuff is usually more expensive due to transport/ferry costs. If I was you I'd shop around and don't be afraid to ask for trade discount - most factors will oblige - and if they don't - try elsewhere. As a matter of interest what price did you pay for your oil filter? It's the old story - "if you don't ask you don't get"

·
Registered
75 Posts
sorry fellas. coming in late here.
as johnM5 says it's about £32/ 5L , but at half price (ie £16) i have never found fully synth cheaper.it's cheaper than £17.68 for 4L . the offer was a while ago. but this is why i pop in now and again to check for offers. i've managed to catch it twice now.

madnoel...5l of high spec oil for £12(!?)..what spec? i'm up to 44300 miles . 27000 of those are mine.

i can't see any acea ratings on my bottles, but it says it's good for vw505.01 spec, and i've always rated the vw diesels, so , i've always felt ' good enough for them...good enough for me'.
i'm sure that someone will now tell me otherwise.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
i can't see any acea ratings on my bottles, but it says it's good for vw505.01 spec, and i've always rated the vw diesels, so , i've always felt ' good enough for them...good enough for me'.
i'm sure that someone will now tell me otherwise.
wait untill it goes bang.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts