Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can someone advise me on what's the best diesel treatment to clean injectors, egr, and turbo? and do they all help with lubrication? and carbon build up?

Any experiences / input? :d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
As any fuel additive is consumed during the combustion process so it won't reach the turbo or EGR valve although it may help clean the injectors on it's way through them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you look at a egr valve that's been taken out you will see that no amount of additives or sprays are ever going to clean it. I used oven cleaner on my one and it cleaned it up nicely. Bit like having gloss paint on your hands and trying to wash it off with water.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,635 Posts
best thing for a turbo is more than regular oil changes good for the engine as well best thing for an egr valve is not to have one or blank it off anyway :d
for injector cleaner try a motor factors they sell a cleaner that is much better that the normal garage additive
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Ive allways been a little wary of additives and injector cleaners, the feeling that theyve got to be "thinning" the mix to dissolve stuff.and since the hp pump relies on the "thickness" of the diesel for proper lubrication.

Some further reading on google warns of additives causing water droplets to get thinner than 2 microns or some such,get past the fuel filter and..not good for your pump either..

Having said that ..since my fuel system is delphi and delphi extoll the virtues of their own diesel additive on their site(well they would wouldnt they). Id use that if I was going to use anything.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Only ones that I would touch are BG244 and Forte - both of which I have used to good effect.

A previous car, Mondeo ST TDCi 2.2, are re-known for suffering with injectors as the miles increase giving a lumpy idle. A dose of BG244 would usually see 6 months of smooth idle resumed.....

·
Super Moderator
13,666 Posts
There is a school of thought that suggests use of 2 stroke oil replaces the lubrication that diesel oil used to have before the EU got involved. Google it.
"2 stroke in diesel fuel"

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
with hi pressure diesels petrol in the mix is bad news,tho an older diesel I had recommended up to 5% in the mix for winter use (90's).

One thing I wonder about is paraffin(kerosene) aviation jet fuel.Being slightly thinner and supposedly cleaner burning,would a small amount have a beneficial effect in cleaning?

2 stroke oil.Ive never tried.I wonder,still since my dpf is so picky about low ash special main engine oil and Ive just extended my guarantee,ill pass for now :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts