Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a bit skeptical about these additives that you had to your tank and even more so by the claims they make.

Under hard acceleration I was getting black smoke out of the rear and after making round was told that some of this additive may help.

I ended up buying some Forte advanced formula diesel treatment which I added to half a tank ( it does say add to a full tank ) but I was told t would work better with half a tank as is a bit neater.

I ran this till the fuel light came on and then topped her up as usual.

For me anyway I would recommend this stuff without a second thought and will do it again in 12 months. I filled back up 3 weeks ago now so its had a decent run and not only has the black smoke gone but you can tell it runs a lot better too.

Really good stuff and for £15 well worth ago.

Stu

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Thats interesting Stu, my car was serviced recently and I was contacted by the Renault dealer asking if I wanted the treatment added to my fuel tank.
I have been wary of such treatments and the cars handbook doesn't recommend additives but the garage staff were strongly recommending the product.
I gave the go-ahead but had the element of doubt in my mind that these things are a bit of an unnecessary sales gimmick.
It is interesting to hear of someone noticing a marked improvement, please keep us posted on the long term performance, especially in relation to the engines fuel components staying clean.

·
Super mod..
29,250 Posts
Forte is good stuff and for many years was a trade only product..of course ebay changed that :d a few years ago a fellow fiat owner did a write up about Comma D-tox fuel system cleaner..he was not one for magic potions as he put it..he said after using it he would use it again he showed his fuel trims and how the system worked before the treatment and after..now my lad has been having a few issues of late so I got some for him to try..he came back with a resounding YES in other word he couldn't believe the difference..my car is a different car since using it dad :cool:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Going back to the Mid late 90s Renault used to sell their own brand, good stuff it was too, but right out of the blue :confused: they stopped selling it, I never did find out why. :idunno:

·
Super mod..
29,250 Posts
They probably stopped selling it because its fixed the problem without a diagnostic test and injector strip down..

Its the only time a customer probably came away happy with a fix by a dealer..:p

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
:)
delphi sell their own brand diesel additive(usual use only our own brand additive if you wanna be sure !! warning).The other renault fuel pump/injector makers may supply "own brand" additives also.

·
Super mod..
29,250 Posts
Just received my Comma injector clean at the front door Yodel delivered it..3 x 400 bottles for £14.95..

WIN WIN WIN..:d

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I did the same with Redex diesel treatment a few years back; a quarter of the bottle at a time and I used it in the week preceding the MoT for 4 years in a row!
A lot of soot collects in the rear box of a diesel, and the other way to clear the exhaust for the MOT is the famed "Italian tune-up".... on the day before the MoT, warm the engine up, then using a low gear accelerate hard a few times from medium speed until the governor cuts in. It produces some amazingly thick clouds that has scared a few other drivers on the road around me when I'm performing this act ! They think that the engine is about to blow up and either drop well back, or exceed the speed limit and rush past

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I would give a quick update as it's been a few month now since I added the Forte stuff.

For me anyway it still seems to be better, black smoke is still at bay and running great.

Definitely be doing it again next year.

Stu

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Good stuff.

Now after my fuel pump replacement(supposedly crap fuel.) ..,do I try forte.. ,ye olde 100ml of 2 stroke in a tank or "delphi's own" home brew,
and what effect if any would they have on guarantee..

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cant say about the others Coup and like I say I have always been very sceptical about this kind of stuff but that Forte as seemed to worked for me anyway and I will definitely use it again next year...

I cant see how it would effect the warranty buddy as it isn't something that is classed as a modification etc and I cant even see how it would show up?

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts