Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I want to buy a diesel turbo espace to save a bit of money on the price of fuel.
But I have asked both diesel and petrol owners what mileage they get and they both say 38mpg. :confused:

So what does a 100,000 mile diesel and petrol espace really do?

The last question is will a diesel espace run on biodiesel fuel? :)

Cheers Ian

p.s is a 200,000 mile diesel espace too high a millage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
first of all you have got to look at the price differance to buy a petrol v Diesel,petrols are harder to sell,hence they are cheaper to buy, diesel bargins are hard to find because any dealer can sell them,also if you drive 6k a year as I do in my private car, buy having a diesel you will save a few hundred a year!also if you buy a petrol you will get a newer car for your money.
Most diesel engines will do 2-300k if well cared for,but the rest of the car will probaly not without major expense! Also petrols are a lot more refined on stop start journeys, as for petrol bargins I have just picked up a 03 03 plate espace 2.0t auto expression with 36k for£7800(yes it has got a ticking hydraulic pump)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I suspect the only way you'll get 38mpg out of a petrol Espace is to do mostly motorway miles and stick to around 50mph. The figure sounds realistic for the diesel, but way too economical for the petrol.

If, when you say 'biodiesel' you mean 'cooking oil from Morrisons' then none of the modern common rail diesels like to run at high concentrations of the stuff. We've had reports of a 50/50 mix of diesel/veg oil being okay, but running it on anything other than normal, full strength DERV carries at least some risk of damage. Ultimately, it'd be your car and your gamble.

If you mean proper pump 'biodiesel' then you'd probably be okay. Though I'd investigate further before using the stuff.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I have owned the 2.1 TD and the 2.2 Dci and had very good returns in fuel economy with both. Certainly over 40mpg.
I believe you would struggle to get 30mpg out of the petrol versions

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I think a lot of people are over optimistic about their mpg, like on ebay auctions where people claim 2.2dci's do 60+ to the gallon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, so diesel it is then and under 200k. My problem is I'm always skint due to my wife's love of credit cards (and not repaying them :steam: ) and me being a house husband. So I only intend spending around £600 on an old espace so I can take my long suffering kids on holiday to France.
I will eventually be making my own biodiesel (waste veg oil), this should help a little even at a 50% mix. :)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
ian dont be afraid of the 200.000 mile one it all depends on how well its been maintained ive had 2.0 petrol a 130.000 diesel and my current 205.000 diesel .
the petrol was a thirsty beast especialy town stop start driving + was particulaly thirstyif pushed on the motorway .
the 130.000 diesel cost me hundreds in parts had to replace virtualy the whole fuel system just got it spot on when it was written off !.
bought the 205.000 in november for £380.00runs like a dream just been in for its mot all it needed was a bush and a drop link engine is spot on .
go for the diesel as you willnotice the differance both in econamy and power especialy when fully loaded that turbo makes a massive differance but beware its bloody adictive to give it the boot especialy to embarress thatknob in the bmw away from the lights
as an example had take the largest football flag in europe from oldham to newcastle for repairs tuther week damn thing was wet through and filled the back did the run up the M1/A1 at an average of 80+ cost to me was £40 there and back try that in the petrol cost you at least another £20
good luck & good hunting

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run a 2.0 16v Manual 1999 petrol Grande Espace.

Driven aggresively, i.e. accelerating hard and braking late like all the other morons you'll see 27mpg.

Driven normally with a little anticipation you'll get 30mpg.

Driven slowly and very carefully you'll see 35mpg.

HTH :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run a 3.5 V6 2006 Grand Espace.

In town - 12mpg

Motorway 24mpg

This is without being aggressive.

Draining my wallet big time, but I love it - the number of cars I've surprised - especially on the motorways / A-roads. They just don't expect an MPV to go that fast!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
thought of lpg

Might be worth considering lpg particularly if you can find one already converted. My 93 espace does about 22.5 miles to the gallon overall , town and motorway and some towing equivalent costwise to about 45 mpg as lpg is less than half the price of petrol. Conversion would cost about 12 to 1500 or about 5 to 600 if you do it yourself, about 4 days work.
Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
To be honest with you, the car's used for dropping kids off to school and family holidays.

The holidays can be expensive but not too bad as I get around 22-24mpg.

My previous car was a Seat Alhambra (Galaxy clone) with a 1.9 turbo diesel. At 'slightly' above 70mph, would give me 26-29mpg.

I'd rather have the petrol - and it's sooooo quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought a Nov 2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16v petrol a few weeks ago (its an auto too!). Did 420 miles on 63 litres of unleaded. I haven't done the maths yet! Used to own an Audi A6 1.8T and this is certainly comparable on the fuel economy on a mixture of town and country with some longer runs. Running it with the middle seat in second row missing so slight weight saving...
It's 30.3 mpg!
Useful website : Quick MPG Calculator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts