Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Scenic has a rearview mirror which automatically darkens. How does it work?

It looks as though there's a sensor on the bottom of the mirror which presumably causes it to darken when it gets too bright (or perhaps it compares it with another sensor somewhere).

I'd like to modify it or turn it off. In a university city it's prone to darken and make it difficult to see the unlit cyclists behind and it also goes dark when reversing out of the garage if there's too much contrast between internal and external lighting.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,393 Posts
you cant pull the fuse for it as that fuse looks after a few systems, see attatched image, for a test you could put a bit of black insulation tape over the sensor at the bottom of the mirror so it "thinks" its dark all the time and see if that fixes your problem in the short term

Beat me to it Dave

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,502 Posts
TBH was/is the one thing I really miss from my Scenic.
I have to dip the mirror manually on my Q Car. :frown2:

Which I do the moment it gets dark.
Which saves me getting dazzled by the twonker behind who has DRLs, LEDs, HIDs or simply misaligned dips, often to the point where I could play shadow theater up by the mirror.

Uhhm, unlit cyclists behind you ?
Am I missing something, they are behind you!
And reversing? I turn round in seat and look, cannot reverse using the mirror (but do use the door mirrors in tight spots)

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
19,293 Posts
TBH was/is the one thing I really miss from my Scenic.
I have to dip the mirror manually on my Q Car. :frown2:

Which I do the moment it gets dark.
Which saves me getting dazzled by the twonker behind who has DRLs, LEDs, HIDs or simply misaligned dips, often to the point where I could play shadow theater up by the mirror.
Is Corkie following you about>:)

Never use my interior mirror ....>:)

After driving trucks and buses you just get into habit of using door mirrors

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
Check your interior fuse box
Middle column of fuses ( small fuses, ignore large fuses as being in any column)
If a fuse fitted in the 3rd position up, pull this one out..
That should be your rear view mirror sensor..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your interior fuse box
Middle column of fuses ( small fuses, ignore large fuses as being in any column)
If a fuse fitted in the 3rd position up, pull this one out..
That should be your rear view mirror sensor..
Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I'll give it a go.

I've tried covering it with tape, which helps (but not always). Perhaps I need to use a different type of tape as my original piece was removed by the garage during a service (when they also 'fixed' being unable to move away from traffic announcements by just switching them off totally).

As for unlit bikes, it's fine if they stay behind but in slow traffic they have a tendency to try to get in front and it's useful to have some idea that they are there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts