Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see that vid on the net which shows how to make minor panel dents disappear? It goes like this - first heat up the area with a hairdryer, then immediately spray with liquid CO2. A bit if creaking... and... POP! the dent disappears!

My worry is if it has that power over a dent what might it do to the paint?!

The vid says no worries about the paint, but I dunno. Sounds like famous last words!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Have you got a link to it?

It sounds interesting.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Did anyone see that vid on the net which shows how to make minor panel dents disappear? It goes like this - first heat up the area with a hairdryer, then immediately spray with liquid CO2. A bit if creaking... and... POP! the dent disappears!

My worry is if it has that power over a dent what might it do to the paint?!

The vid says no worries about the paint, but I dunno. Sounds like famous last words!
Yep post a link should be fun ?

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
And my next trick how to cure frost bitten body parts....

It seemed to work ok on that dent, I will leave it for someone else to try tho.

Well found tho.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I removed a dent in my back door quicker than that, took 3 seconds.

Someone had dented it parking next to me in a car park luckily their bumper had pushed the door in by pushing on the large plastic rubbing strip that my Scorpio had.

I was so mad that after looking around I opened the door and slammed it shut, the large dent sprang out and completely disappeared.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I saw this a few weeks ago - but didn't want to post it in case people thought this was another technique I use...

I can understand the principle involved, but I would believe that success is dependent on the type of dent.

Let me explain, the principle is one of expansion/contraction of metal - this 'force' will apply itself equally in all directions on the metal in the panel from the centre of the dent outwards. Now that's fine if the dent is in itself uniform in nature (i.e. a panel which has been kicked, or something large/heavy has applied force to it), however, if the dent was created by something long/flat (i.e. a door edge/wall) then the dent may be reversed and become a high spot on the panel or the paint may crack under the force which has been created within the panel.

Its certainly entertaining to watch!

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Anyone in the kent area got any dry ice or compressed Co2 liquid?

We've got the test vehicle (well 2 actually if it works on the first cos the saffy has some minor stone dents) but no cash to get the supplies!

If anyone wants to donate, I'll test!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
When I lived in South Africa many moons ago I saw a very similiar technique being used to remove hail stone dents after a storm, never saw the paint crack or get damaged.

In fact there were many garages in Johannesburg specializing in this kind of work.

Come on someone try it..........

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
When I lived in South Africa many moons ago I saw a very similiar technique being used to remove hail stone dents after a storm, never saw the paint crack or get damaged.

In fact there were many garages in Johannesburg specializing in this kind of work.

If you pay for me and my car to go to South Africa,I'm up for it!.:d

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I've already said I will if someone can supply me with liquid CO2 or dry ice. I'm skint and cannot afford.

If you want to know if it works, I have the guinea pig vehicle. Why not stop flogging the dead horse and make the donation yourself? - We all know that everyone wants to know if it works and I am volunteering to try if someone can supply the stuff I need.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts