Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It is very nice to welcome new members but there is a downside to this.

If I had just come on here with an urgent question asking members help to get my car running and then the next time I looked on the forum I could see I had 5-10 answers I would be very pleased, but not that pleased if it was full of answers saying "Welcome to the forum" sorry don't know" "one of the techs will know" "welcome" etc.

This is happening a lot now.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I think it is a very valid point you have raised Davesss.

We get a lot of new Members asking the same questions over and over again , some by their posts you feel they are web aware so should know how to use a Forum others do not seem so literate, I try where possible to answer a new members question or post a link to the relevant section where they should be able to find an answer to a question that has being asked hundreds if not thousands of times.

I feel it is better to reply to a post even if just posting a link or advising a new member that we do have members who have a technical background rather than leaving the post unanswered perhaps then sitting there for quite a number of hours feeling ignored by the forum.

Also by its very nature if a new member posts in the welcome to the forum thread that in itself is requiring a reply of "Hello & Welcome to the Forums " followed by directing the new member to the appropriate section.

Do you have any suggestions how to resolve the question you have asked Dave.

I for one have always welcomed new members to the Forums and will continue to do so if I do not have the technical ability to answer the question posted I feel that it is better left to those who do have an answer rather than giving out misleading or wrong information which could lead to disastrous results for the member.

Regards

Ottoman

S

·
0 Posts
Tough one really. I think anybody introducing themselves in the Welcome forum deserves a reply, even if it's not a technical one. Some do post a technical question at the same time which makes it more difficult...

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I have to agree with Davesss (but I can see both sides reasoning on this). It may lead to a bit more work for the moderators, but would it be feasible for 'welcome' posts to be moved fairly swiftly into the relevant sections if advice is sought? That way, we can still be as friendly and polite in our own way (which will keep members re-visiting the forums), and still offer the swift advice (which will make them satisfied they 'hit' the best forum in the first place)?

I don't know how realistic this is in practice, but it would tick both boxes.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Agreed it is a bit of a dilema.:confused:

I for one do not like ignoring a "hello" post and will if i am logged on continue answering with a short but sweet welcome message.

I have noticed though posts re. radio coding and wiring have slowed down recently, maybe due to the stickies and howto's on that subject,

Meanwhile a big HELLO to all members and moderators of the forum form us....(Glenda and Martin).

:) :)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I was a member of another forum which shall remain nameless where they insist you say hi to all the other members, but then post your questions in the relevant area :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'd been keeping quiet about this one, as I didn't want to reinforce my position as official forum curmudgeon :p

But I've been thinking much the same way too, especially as the 'Welcome' posts effectively killed off the usefulness of the 'unanswered posts' function.

As I see it, if the post contains some content relating to being new to the forums (e.g. "Hi, I'm a newbie, please be gentle") then that's fair game for a 'welcome' reply. If someone's first post simply asks a technical question, then maybe we should skip the pleasantries and just leave the thread for those who might be able to give the information that's being requested.

S

·
0 Posts
But what do we do if they are introducing themselves AND asking a question? ;)

Since it was suggested, I now receive an email every time a new post is made in the Welcom forum. I'm now checking them all and moving them as I go along. The benefit of that is that they get a welcome from me as I reply to tell them that the thread has been moved

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
But what do we do if they are introducing themselves AND asking a question? ;)
In that case, I'd see it as quite proper to reply with a welcome post. Though maybe it's not so good to 'promise' that someone will be along to sort out their problem soon, because that's not necessarily what's going to happen.
Since it was suggested, I now receive an email every time a new post is made in the Welcom forum. I'm now checking them all and moving them as I go along. The benefit of that is that they get a welcome from me as I reply to tell them that the thread has been moved
That should keep you busy then :crazy:

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I really cannot see anyway around this one:confused: I mean, you're not gonna be able to regulate what people put in any part of the forum, yes you can move posts, but that is what is already happening so no change there then!

These things are gonna happen and keep on happening. The only way around it is to remove the Welcome forum all together and that's not a very welcoming forum then, is it:(

There you go that's my input....which is worth absolutely nothing I may add:d

EDIT: Maybe you could change the sub heading of the welcome forum to read "Please only use this area to say hello and post any other matters in the relevant forum".

Someone might take notice!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
EDIT: Maybe you could change the sub heading of the welcome forum to read "Please only use this area to say hello and post any other matters in the relevant forum".

Someone might take notice!

Good idea! - although a lot of people don't take any notice anyway, it may stop some from doing it.

M

·
0 Posts
I have found that much of the time new members are reluctant to do a search for the relevant information and just thow in a line hoping someone will bite, another forum I have used is quite strict and sometimes quite brusque about posting in the right place. The situation won't change unless people change or are encouraged to change. My first encounters with all fora have been in genuine search of info and AFTER trawling through the threads then have asked my question. Its always nice to be welcomed but some form of pointer to the right area to post is also something to consider. The auto emailer sends me loads of messages from various threads with basically the same related questions/answers and does take time to sort the wheat from the chaff. Nevetheless the forum has been a godsend on a number of occasions and the amount of knowledge contained therin is priceless (especially considering what garages charge) so keep up the good work.
One thing I would like to see is correct spelling and intelligible text (I have been warned about pointing this out to an individual) but it does make a difference sometimes to be able to decipher what is being said. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts